1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Poor Classroom Management

Discussion in 'Workplace dilemmas' started by lumpyloo, Feb 28, 2011.

1. lumpyloo

lumpyloo New commenter

I really don't know whether to keep my mouth shut or to speak to Management about the following situation:
    • A colleague teaches my (lively Reception) class PPA half an hour a week. I plan it, whatever I give her she cannot cope with, at first it was group work, really easy phonics but she didn't know her sounds, so I gave her bums on seats handwriting and they completely take the **** and do **** work. They don't listen to her at all. She has only tried to control them once - last week.
    • She lets my TA classroom manage rather than do it herself - I have asked her to step back to see if the Teacher will take control, she doesn't.
    • I make sure I'm out of the room so that the Teacher can attempt to establish control.
    • I've given step-by-step instructions, put behaviour policies on the wall for her. I get everything ready and the children in place, etc.
    • She doesn't seem to care and she will be teaching the class next year, she wants them split up and is publicly saying that she doesn't want certain children.
    I don't feel good about this and I don't want to have to speak to Managment, but I am deeply concerned. Any thoughts or constructive advice would be gratefully received.
    I remember when I was an NQT my colleague would tell me outright how to improve, so I've been the 'weaker' teacher. What do I do?

2. minnieminx

minnieminx New commenter

I have a similar problem with my PPA cover teacher, but he does take 'some' of my advice.

If your class are lively, can you ask her to teach something where she doesn't have to go against that? I cannot imagine myself being able to get our reception class to sit on a chair and do handwriting for half an hour and I'm pretty good at classroom management. Can they do a more active lesson?

I would allow your TA to step up and do some control if the teacher can't/won't. Someone needs to for the sake of the children's learning. It doesn't matter much who.

Have you spoken to the teacher? Tell her where you are and that you are available to help should you be needed. It is easy to feel we have to be out of the way, but sometimes a teacher struggling actually would like us there.

Talk to your class and tell them you will be popping in to see who is being good during her lesson. Nip back in from time to time and give subtle praise to those doing the right thing, a smile and thumbs up often works. And of course, give an odd glare to those not behaving.

This is going to sound harsh, but your post does come across as very critical and totally blaming the other teacher. I have been there and done exactly that. Even to the point of ranting to my then HT that I didn't want the person teaching my class for PPA any more and actually didn't want them any where near my room. That was quite some time ago now though and I never did it again!

By all means involve SMT, though they are probably aware already. But in a way of asking for advice on how best to support and help your colleague, rather than a way of reporting poor teaching.

But sometimes, and I'm rubbish at this so it is a bit of a case of do as I say not as I do, you just have to step back and not worry about what goes on when you aren't there. You can only do so much and cannot really control what other people do.

3. missmunchie

missmunchie New commenter

I was quite shocked by this statement. They are only 4 year olds and as you mention, quite lively. I don't think they take the **** and do **** work on purpose!
    Why don't you let your colleague plan her own tasks or lessons for the children?

4. This is the problem. Let her do it herself. Don't be such a control freak.[​IMG]