1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

POOR BEHAVIOUR = WEAK TEACHERS

Discussion in 'Behaviour' started by sniffybear, Oct 29, 2008.

1. Hey Sniffy,
    I went to the hospital today. It was full of sick people. Those doctors are RUBBISH, man! Maybe they should all give up doctoring.

Steve

pepper5 likes this.
  2. This amazing correspondent has managed to sum up why teachers having problems are reluctant to ask for help. They are too afraid of being labelled "poor teachers".
    Yes, I have known extremely good teachers complain about pupil behaviour. Because they are good teachers they consult their colleagues to find out how widespread the behaviour is. Because they are good teachers they normally solve the problem. Normally. Some pupils fall outside the pattern for a variety of reasons.
    I hope your smarty-pants correspondent has some good colleagues for the day when something happens.

3. or, crazy idea, train the rubbish parents that ruin their children and increase bad behaviour in the classroom? the most excellent teacher struggles to deal with the child whose parents have taught them that the world owes them a living.

newsfllash. it doesn't.

life is hard, be responsible for your own behaviour.

4. Bla bla bla bla why are you on here writing boring posts? I am so bored reading this.....and the fact it was continuing over half term......did you not have anything better to do with your time? I pretty sure us hardworking teachers did!
    And in response to what this whole thing is about 'poor behaviour = weak teachers':
    This is the truth of it is....
    1) some teachers ARE poor...they will either drop out under stress or be sacked so don't spend your time worrying about them! P.S why are you moaning to other teachers about this matter...surely SLT and headmasters are responsible for the progress of teachers development as much as they are! Aim you moaning at them! But we as teachers are not responsible for the steriotypical view you seem to have so why blame us???
    2) poor behaviour should be dealt with in a controlled manner by a qualified teacher......as a teacher myself i have no issues with poor behaviour from 'students who are poorly focused and disruptive in other lessons
    3) not all students are the same...there is a difference between bad behaviour and the ability to control it and simply a negative/vicious child. If you do not know the difference then clearly you are
    A) not actually a teacher
    or
    B) a poor one!

Oh.......i've just realised i've added a post to this boring forum! Sorry if i have bored anyone whilst i was wasting my time on here!

Im off to create an intresting SOW for my Year 11 Blood Brothers Drama exam.....have fun the rest of you as i am sure this discussion will continue till at least xmas!

5. Hi,

I have ignored the poor spelling, grammar and punctuation in this posting, which must obviously be the result of bad teaching at some time - possibly currently !

However, to answer the question - in my 22 years of teaching I have heard some of the best teachers in the profession, complain and agonise about how to cope with disruptive students. I feel that it is reassuring that teachers are able to evaluate and seek help where they need it. Sometimes Special Needs pupils are identified through teacher referral and concerns raised about individual children demonstrate that a teacher actually cares. I do not believe that the perfect teacher exists, and if anyone considers themselves to be perfect then that is more of a problem to the profession than a teacher who recognises their own strengths and weaknesses and strives to be the best that they can be.

pepper5 likes this.
  6. This is a hard one, but it really depends on how you approach it. I have done a lot of supply teaching in many different schools. I usually do not have a problem with behaviour, but have been in a class where the children have been completely out of control: swearing, walking out, hitting each other etc. I did feel like I was a bad teacher, but later found that i was one of the few supply teachers to have lasted the day with this class - many had walked out part way through the day. Does this make me a bad teacher because I could not control this class? I feel that children regularly test the boundaries with respect to their behaviour and I think that it is up to the teacher to exert control and set boundaries. This can take time however as children may well have acquired this behaviour over a period of time. There should be a whole school behaviour policy and so should we be asking poor behaviour = poor school?

7. Sniffybear - who the hell are you??? Are you a teacher? I hope you are not SMT.
    Your post is ridiculous.
    What are you thinking!?!?!?
    Do you teach little people or big teenagers? I know very little about primary, but behaviour in secondary schools is caused by a wealth of factors only one of which is teaching.
    Your post really is ridiculous. I have nothing to say except... who the hell are you and why are you on the TES website?????????

8. Yes. Twice evaluated as Outstanding by OFSTED. Have some bad lessons with unruly pupils, just like everone else. Reason, kids are human, teachers are human and WE ALL have bad days. If every lesson is perfect then I suggest you check that the kids sat in front of you are actually awake

9. My post was actually aimed at sniffybear not at the other teachers on this forum. I was confused by the comments made and wondered why he/she was bothering to write on here and slag off the hardworking teachers who care enough about the profession to actually come onto the TES website. Also this is a forum....i shouldn't have to think about my spelling, grammar and punctuation. I finished work at 5:45pm....im relaxing now and think at the age of 23 i can type how i wish without a teacher marking my writing thankyou!

10. I do not agree that a poor teacher causes bad behaviour. There are some children who will behave for no-one and some pupils who will behave regardless of who is taking them on the basis of respect !.

There is an increasing number of children sent to school who think the world revolves around them and that it owes them a living.

Instead of posing the question as to whether poor teaching causes bad behaviour why not ask whether weaker teachers go unnoticed in good schools because the good schools have children who are above average ability in the first place and have plenty of support at home !!.

Therefore a weak teacher goes unnoticed because the results are above average anyway where in a tougher school, every teacher has to pull out all of the stops to get the ridiculous levels expected when these kids don't even get breakfast before they come to school. !

A weak teacher would not survive in a poor school. The children would eat them alive and they simply wouldn't be able to cope long enough to do any damage !

11. Are you for real?
    To make sure a sweeping assumption is not only arrongant and insulting it is out right foolishness. I'm nearly lost for words BUT this much I can say, Hang around long enough in the profession, take up just one class with a totally disengaged and disruptive student and see just how far good 'teaching skills' takes you.

12. Dear troll, do you have no problems because you turn a blind eye? Is it classroom observation that has proven to you that they are bad teachers or do you just not like helping people and so find it easier to join the blame culture? Obviously the way we treat children will have an effect on the way they behave - but dont you think that perhaps sometimes they behave badly anyway? I like the idea that we should just give up if something isnt working - is this a message that we should relay to the children? Should we say - oh you have problems - just give up?

I realize of course that you could be just being ironic and really wanted us to think about the role of the SMT and on how we can assist our colleagues with their problems - so well done if that is the case. However from your spelling I suspect that you are just a child with one bad teacher and an anger problem - if this is indeed the case - dont give up - you can learn.

13. I am sorry but what you have said is total rubbish. Comparing teachers to firemen/women is totally inappropriate. Both professionals do marvellous jobs and should be given credit for what they do.

Regarding your message about teachers who have no behaviour management are bad teachers and should be fired is absolutely ridiculous! I have been teaching for 15 years and am well respected by the children in the school, parents and fellow teachers. I teach in year 6 and have been rated by our local authority and ofsted as an outstanding teacher, and without blowing my own trumpet was also nominated for a National Teaching award. I have good control over my class and we get good results every year, which have been improving year on year. I work in an inner city area which is rated as the 8th most deprived area outside of London. We have some very challenging behaviour issues in our school. I have had occasional issues within my class, when maybe a child has come to school having had a bad night at home and they take it out on us in the classroom. I have had abuse hurled at me and have been hit. So even though I am an outstanding teacher and have been praised for my behaviour management I have had issues occasionally which have been out of my control. So does that make me a bad teacher then?? I question your theory.

In education every day is a different one and every child can react differently every day, what you have to do is deal with each situation as they arise, sometimes children do not want to conform one day but will the next day. I am constantly finding new ways to approach children who have issues and what works one day doesnt the next.

I am glad you are so marvellous that you can change children's attitudes to every problem they have but maybe you havent experienced children with real probems in their home life who feel that the world is letting them down. Firing teachers who maybe the only people who could eventually get though to these children is not the answer. I have a child in my present class who has serious behaviour issues, but when you look at his life and the abuse he puts up with on a daily basis, like having to call the police to take his own father way, is it no wonder he will be disffected the next day at school and yes may disrupt my class the next day. I have to accomodate this, and yes will make my life complicated for that day and yes some people think I am not handling it well, but that child respects ,me and confides in me. His mother says he has never respected a teacher before and that he hurts the people he loves. I persoanlly feel priveledged to work in school where yes there are serious challenging behaviour but also a school where I am making a difference.

I think people need to look at the big picture as to what is causing issues and stop blaming teachers for teaching badly, I work very hard and achieve results but do getsome problems.

I am sorry for my rant but I feel very angry and upset that once again teachers are getting blamed for things they try desperately to change and improve.

14. Yes, I have known excellent teachers complain about poor behaviour - they care enough to want to improve pupils' behaviour in order to allow ALL the children in the class to make progress. It takes a good, strong teacher to ask for help and I have been fortunate to work in schools, several of them where staff support others.

I feel sorry for teachers who are going to take this statement, 'poor teachers, poor behaviour to heart'.

Whoever wrote that is a pompous person who has not expereinced many difficulties in life - what sort of teacher would they make?

Supportive senior manager

15. Hi Sniffy here,

Thank you for all of the letters of suport.

I was fired (asked to leave) for two reasons.

1) I work in a EBD school and it has all of the issues that you have all mentioned.

2) I am dyslexic and it was picked up on a number of school reports.

It was a very round about way to get a responce but the fireman example was put to me in a casual chat by the head.

I have not given up and I am trying to become a "good teacher".

I won't let them get me down. As it was suggested in a chat it is not recorded so the union can not do anything.

I am not after sympathy as I believe that I am not a bad teacher just one who has areas to improve.

Sniffybear

16. A poor teacher does not cause bad behaiour. A poor teacher can allow bad behaviour to escalate until it becomes out of control behaviour. Also, people have to start somewhere and a poor teacher can become a good teacher with practice. Have a heart. Although I think you are really just taking the mickey.
    Good Girl, even good teachers can sometimes 'not survive in a poor school'. Such things as family stressses low-grade illness, etc can make the task impossible. I once knew an experienced, otherwise 'good' teacher who was driven to resignation by a badly behaved girl and her team of taunters. He knew he would do something drastic if he didn't leave.
    This teacher is now being an excellent teacher in another school.

17. Good one Sniff - I think it was very perverse (but clever) of you to get us going like that. The 'joke' is on us.
    Someone once gave me the 'Latin' for 'Don't let the turkeys get you down'. (Can anyone out there give it to me again??) I pass it on to you. With the determination you have shown you'll get there. I think I'm proud to be a teacher with you as a colleague!!

18. Sniffy,

I'm having trouble understanding why you would pose as someone with the views you did when you possibly worked for someone with those views yourself?

I am quite interesting in the scrapping of permanent exclusion targets raised by Old Andrew and the response that some LEAs are now fining schools for excluding children. I heard a rumour that our school would have to pay the LEA £2000 for every permanent exclusion. Not quite as bad as Birmingham's £5000 but obviously enough to make our SMT think twice.

Having said that perhaps the staff should have a whip round, I'd gladly donate £20 to get shot of a few of our favourite customers.

19. Hi
    There are four of us who each teach the same core class for different subjects. As a group we have noticed the gradual deterioration in the behaviour of the class and have put a system in place to halt the decline. Surely all four of us cannot be considered weak teachers!

20. "Every teacher...............are........." !!!!!!!!! I hope you are not a teacher with such poor basic English. Also, check the spelling of "complain".