1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

POOR BEHAVIOUR = WEAK TEACHERS

Discussion in 'Behaviour' started by sniffybear, Oct 29, 2008.

1. There is no limit on permanent exclusions. Even the targets have been abolished.
    Let's not blame the government for the weakness of our own SMTs.

2. eha

eha

DrHyde: didn't catch your reference to 'apprenticeship' ???

Isolation rooms sounds like a good idea--- could be a job for all these TAs, Cover persons and other support staff that everyone seems to be so worried about taking over the schools these days? But don't schools that practise this, get grief from parents?

3. bombaysapphire

bombaysapphire Star commenter

Question for Oldandrew - the government might have removed the limit on permanent exclusions but my understanding was that exclusions involved financial penalties on the school. Given the cash strapped state of most schools at the moment that provides a strong incentive not to exclude. Is my information out of date?

4. If you exclude a child then you lose the money for that child.
    However, as I understand it, that has always been the case.

5. blazer

blazer Star commenter

In addition to losing that child's funding some authirities also impose a 'fine' for each excluded child. In Birmingham it was (and may still be) £5000 per child out of your budget!

6. Dear Sniffy Bear,

I work in a very tough school where even our outstanding teachers (as rated by our SMT and OFSTED) do at times complain about general behaviour.

Have you been in a classroom lately? Have you tried grasping the attention and concentration of 30+ teenagers of the "everything is ****/ rubbish / boring" xbox generation we have to teach?

Are you a teacher? No teacher could even begin to post that comment as everyone has their good days and bad days, and believe me, there are good schools and bad schools. Try having a bad day at a bad school with no support, as in my experience, you can't rely on SMT to sort behaviour.

Also, have you had 30+ teenagers turn on you for fun, as you were supply/ NQT/ new?

If you haven't, then you haven't had a breadth of experience at all, have you?

pepper5 likes this.
  7. Simple answer no. For all the reasons given and some. Some teachers have well behaved classes and achieve this by scaring the children into robotic zombies who rarely acheive thier potiential. If the statement were true then cases would be isolated to individual teachers and they are not. In most cases the child will causes problems in all classes and the teacher doesn't always get the chance to support the rest of the group. It often comes down to parental attitude to school and more should be done to support teachers in school, make students aware of the teachers rights and not thier own inflated ideas of the child's rights its got out of proportion.

I dont care if you wont to say I'm C*** because children in my care exceed thier targets. Do Yours?

8. I think you are generalising the complex issue of poor behavior too harshly. Yes, poor behavior has a lot to do with the teacher in the room not only where her teaching is concerned but also the respect she/he gives or gets from students. It is a vicious circle and a lot of home issues of students MUST be considered before we can say the teacher is '****'!

pepper5 likes this.
  9. Yes, bad teachers should be fired but then what??? Where do good teachers come from then? And who decides who is a 'ggod' teacher? The management? Some management, I'm afraid, are worse!!!

10. I love this one, obviously a wind up. As it happens I raised the issue of poor behaviour in one of my classes today. Too many teachers feel that it is a sign of weakness to admit that children do not always behave well. We must support each other to develop strategies that work in the classroom, be prepared to try new things and resist the idea that a teacher can control everything that happens in the classroom. After working for 14 years in a rural school in a senior post, yes I am finding it a challenge to maintain good behaviour in my class of boys with an ethnic mix that is new to me.... am i a 'weak teacher', I don't think so, but I am one that is prepared to work hard to make it work better tomorrow.

11. What a load of dribble some of you are writing! Sometimes if you look at a child's background and the lack of a good adult role models, it is the child's cry for help when they 'have' bad behaviour. I am a good teacher (even Ofsted say so!!!!), I have a child with bad behaviour in my class but my teaching hasn't gone down hill... I have to spend sometime with this child and set fair but firm boundries... I haven't got a magic wand and I know it will take time, this child has needs that I can't give him overnight and his parents don't want to give him. My policy has and always will be Don't change the child but change the behaviour.... It isn't always bad teaching but often something far deeper.

At my school we try to help NQTs and weaker teachers and work together on the whole school ethos, the children have realised this and are prepared to work with us and the majority of the parents. But what to do without parental support/ working together... well if you can answer that then maybe I am going down hill and perhaps you had better teach all the children oh great one!!!!!

12. I have heard EVERY teacher complain - even outstanding ones. Don't be so silly and simplistic.

13. Too right Kate wood.... The person who started this is obviously way to clever for the likes of us mere mortals

14. The thin edge of the wedge here is of course the worry that as the number of problem and disfunctional kids increase (if anyone says they are not, then they clearly don't live in the same world I and all the teachers I know do), that we will get blamed for standards falling yet further. There is evidence that this blaming is already well established and teachers are feeling the brunt of it.This will only get worse until the profession as a whole say enough is enough, stand together and refuse to put up with this situation. Years of teaching have taught me that the profession is far too fragmented and most are too frightened to speak out or are too worried about damaging their promotional prospects to actually get involved. Hence we get what we deserve in the working environment that we have allowed to develop over the last twenty years or so. Many of the wishy washy readers of this will no doubt take exception to my views and say I should quit. I will when I can't stand it any more. I am very near retirement so it is of little consequence to me what people think. However, it's at the other end of the age range with younger teachers that I have the greatest concern. The retention rate is very low, yet nobody seems to be taking any notice of this. Hence the number of teachers from abroad who come and fill difficult to fill posts here. Many are very shocked and disapointed with the attitude, behaviour and motivation of youngsters they encounter here and don'y stay very long. Enough said.....

15. Ah your amusing...ever thought about stand up?

This has to be a fake email to muster up many firey, explosive responses from over-worked teachers..no?

I will give you my response as a fantastic teacher finding some behaviour from young children quite worrying.

Unlike some, I never question my teaching methods, rather I close my eyes and imagine the child's homelife. For example the language they are exposed to, the attitides and values they are given as examples. We, as teachers, can merely attempt to counterbalance this and give these chidren some positive role-models and messages that will hopefully make them develop a sense of respect for themselves and others.

Did you have this experience at school?

May I suggest, you yourself, although I doubt you exist!!...anyway can I strongly suggest that not only do you not teach but that you try also not to hand down your 'hang-ups' and negativity to your children. I fear this may be too late.

God bless your tormented soul.x

16. I agree enough said... lets hear about the good job we do with 99% of the children in our classes and not keep knocking teachers self esteem we have a hard enough job as it is!!!![​IMG]

17. Are you volunteering then?

And I quote, 'Every teacher...are not very good at teaching'.

18. Yes... the majority of us do a bloody good job of teaching, being a parent, social worker (for parents as well as kids), psychologist, nurse... against all the **** that is thrown at us. There are lots of us that actually care about the children we teach and do what we can to help all the children in our class, especially the 'silent' ones. What other job does a person work evenings, holidays and weekend because we want to do our best!????!!!!!! Let us teach and not produce evidence on loads of paper for the men & ladies in the grey suits. Let us celebrate great teaching in the classroom!

19. You clearly feel strongly about this. However, I'm not sure that your 'feeling strongly' is enough to make your argument persuasive. You make little attempt to support the claim you make. You don't anticipate, or go on to demolish, any of the objections that an educated readership might be inclined to raise; nor, in my view, do other aspects of your presentation especially commend the argument.

For, how can a teacher's * (see below) multiple errors in matters of grammar and pronunciation really enhance an argument that mainly consists in asserting the writer's (unsupported) claims to his or her own superiority as a teacher? Is it just possible that some teachers may be good at entertaining children and keeping the peace, without doing very much to facilitate the childrens' learning? Certainly the children's literacy learning will be poorly served by a teacher who lacks the very literacy and thinking skills that would serve learners' interests both immediately and in the longer term.

*Every teacher <u>is</u> ...

*compl<u>ia</u>n > compl<u>ai</u>n

*Have you ever known a good teacher to complain about a child? < <u>replace full stop with a question mark</u>

*Don't rely on the SMT<u>. R</u>ely on...

*..children<u>'s </u>education

let<u>'s</u>

20. Hi everyone,

I would like to mention that there are many ways to control bad behaviour in the classroom. In the past I had so many difficulties to control bad behaviour but now along the years experience I have learnt many ways in how to deal with bad behavoiur and be in control with disruptive pupils. I realised that by promoting POSITIVE behaviour in classroom is very important to reduce disruption. How can we make this happen? Very simple as mentioned by other members on here.

• It is very important to follow and work within School Behaviour Policies. Make aware all students what is good or bad behaviour and what the sanctions/rewards are. Apply and stick to them

• It is also important that we all have qualities in building positive relationships with pupils. In order for this to happen we need to show them respect and this will make them feel worthwile and important. Show empahty and last but not least we all should be genuine.

• We need to have the skills of promoting positive behaviour and don't forget that by giving positive feedback to pupils in your lessons that promotes good behaviour. It has worked for me.

• Use a positive body language and the language itself needs to be positive
    We tend to use common phrases which can become negative in terms of bevaiour management. Here there some examples of what teachers/TA's and school staff to pupils with bad behaviour.

<ol>
    [*]Don't use that language to me! ----Instead say----- Speak to me politely, as I do to you thanks.
    [*]Why is your work so untidy?--------Instead say------ how do you feel that you could make look your work better?
    [*]How dare you argue with me?--------Instead say------
    [*]Stop shouting!------------------------------Instead say--------------
    [*]You lot shouldn't be here at break---------------Instead say-------------------
    [*]You're always interrupting-------------Instead say--------------------------------
    [*]You've been upsetting people again-----Instead say--------------------------
    [*]Why you never bring the right equipment to the lesson---------------instead say---------------</ol>
    I hope this helps and the MOST important thing to promote positive behaviour in the classrooms. Make your lessons intercative, enjoyable and make participate everyone plus praise the efforts they made during your lessons and you will see POSITIVE RESULTS!!!

Regards

Alex

pepper5 likes this.