1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Poor behaviour caused by boring lessons

Discussion in 'Behaviour' started by Geedog, Apr 9, 2018.

1. Geedog

Geedog New commenter

As a staff, we have been told that the poor behaviour of the pupils is because the staff are not teaching engaging lessons - I am puzzled as to how this explains their behaviour at during breaks.

cathr, sbkrobson, Idiomas11 and 4 others like this.
  2. altally

altally New commenter

It's more likely a problem with the behaviour policy, or staff aren't following it consistently enough. If behaviour is poor, how can you teach engaging lessons?

MarieAnn18, Geedog and pepper5 like this.
  3. meggyd

meggyd Senior commenter

How do the staff comport themselves during meetings and cpd?

Geedog likes this.
  4. pepper5

pepper5 Star commenter

Hi Geedog

It is not true that the poor behaviour is caused by the lack of engaging lessons. Cooperation and team effort combined with basic manners in a classroom where everyone is respected has to be in place before engaging lessons take place. And what is engaging? Sometimes, plain hard work is required to learn something and it is not engaging at all no matter how it is dressed up.

As altally suggests, it more likely that the problem is with the behaviour policy and that SLT haven't the systems in place to address the poor culture. It is extremely hard work to tackle the problems with challenging and poor behaviour and to blame it on the lack of engaging lessons is a massive cop out on the part of the SLT and show how little they understand of how to run a school.

5. Camokidmommy

Camokidmommy Established commenter

I am sure I read some one say that there is a school who have some cra ppy policy that asks staff if they would find their lessons exciting enough to want to behave well in!

It basically implied that if kids behave badly its cos the lessons are cra p.

Actually some things in life are just like that but need to be learnt. Get over it kids!mand as for slt, REALLY!!! Get back into the classroom. NOW!

(I'm sure I read this, but maybe I dreamed it.....)

Happyregardless, Geedog and pepper5 like this.
  6. caterpillartobutterfly

caterpillartobutterfly Star commenter

Sometimes children do behave appallingly because the lesson is poorly pitched or is deadly dull. But this is most likely to be in the lessons of one or two teachers in a school with otherwise excellent behaviour.

If all lessons have poor behaviour and behaviour around the school generally and at breaks is also poor, then it isn't that the lessons are not engaging.

But that's the easiest thing for SLT to blame.

7. pepper5

pepper5 Star commenter

Camolidmommy...LOL

Your post made me smile.

Geedog likes this.
  8. sarah_dann1

sarah_dann1 Occasional commenter TES Behaviour peer advisor

What a confrontational thing to say! How did the staff react?

I can't imagine that it has done anything for morale.

Of course, minds can wander when the content is a bit boring, but this is not the main cause of poor behaviour. When a school has widespread bad behaviour, it is a culture issue. It ultimately means that the students do not respect the staff or the school rules. Typically, this sort of school doesn't have a sufficiently strong leadership and/or behaviour management policy.

It's so easy to blame the teachers and much harder to tackle widespread disrespect. You mention bad behaviour at break and lunch - how is this currently dealt with?

Teachers need to acknowledge the interests of the class and try to pitch their content appropriately. I believe that most do this. Students need to accept that they should be doing most of the work. They must actively participate in their education and not expect it to just passively receive it from teachers. Management need to acknowledge that without their clear, consistent direction and support, teachers cannot control behaviour.

How do any of these statements work with your current position @Geedog?

Happyregardless and JohnJCazorla like this.
  9. Geedog

Geedog New commenter

Thank you very much all for your comments - all of what you said is what I thought, but when SLT tell staff it's our fault we are starting to believe it. Staff morale is at its lowest point and has been suggested, it's easy for SLT to blame the staff.
    We don't have a sufficiently strong leadership and/or behaviour management policy.

I feel much more re-assured now....and might start throwing rulers across the Hall during CPD next week.

ViolaClef and pepper5 like this.
  10. JohnJCazorla

JohnJCazorla Star commenter

Poor behaviour caused by.....
    • Insufficient support from SLT?
    • Insufficient classroom support from TAs (because they were made redundant)?
    • Lack of resources?
    • Poor cohort?
    • Lousy living conditions for the vast majority of pupils?
    • No parental support?
    • No serious consequences for trouble-makers?
    • Lots of supply/cover (all the regular teachers have been sickened off)?
    Then again any Head would look at the above and say .......boring lessons

11. dunnocks

dunnocks Star commenter

we have a whole generation who are largely unable to understand that satisfaction comes from hard work, not edutainment

12. pepper5

pepper5 Star commenter

Even as a supply teacher sometimes I get the feeling I am supposed to make the lessons fun.

lardylegs, Geedog and JohnJCazorla like this.
  13. sparkleghirl

sparkleghirl Star commenter

Chicken and egg.

Poor behaviour means I'm not willing to risk doing 'fun' lessons, especially practicals. Safety first.

Poor behaviour knocks fun right off my list of objectives for a lesson.

14. ward_niki

ward_niki New commenter

15. NotAPowerRanger

NotAPowerRanger New commenter

That's because, as others have said, it's a giant cop out. It's far easier to blame the teacher than do something that really makes a difference.

Most of us got our degrees/masters etc by working hard, and if the lesson/lecture was dull then so be it. The whole concept of a lesson must be fun for children to behave/learn is just a load of carp IMHO.

These children are going to have the shock of their lives when they get into FE/HE/the workforce. We should be preparing children for adult life, not wrapping special snowflakes in cotton wool and validating appalling classroom behaviour by allowing children to think that they have no responsibilities whatsoever.

16. lovejoy_antiques

lovejoy_antiques Occasional commenter

I once had "give the students 100 quid each" written into my lesson plan. It never happened though as they wouldn't allow the lesson to progress that far!

Always remember you're just one of thirty people in the room with a plan. There is no guarantee yours will always prevail!

17. nemo.

nemo. Occasional commenter

The old "its your fault for being boring teacher and not doing an all singing and dancing routine every lesson (that would kill you in 3 months)". It is sometimes true but overused mantra that ignores parents and society.

It is certainly true in Asia where students thank me every lesson and act like adults (well year 9 boys need a little bit of lesson management) where you can try to bore them but takes quite a few lessons before they get antsy about it. Generally nice kids with loving parents that dont spoil them in a society that values education is the only place where the B4L models work.

If your mum is a crack ***** and have 3 criminal convictions already in year 9 a fun lesson might not be any good. Try telling a SLT member at a bad school that one! Or an educational psychologist that suggests using a star chart to reward them. Oh thanks for the tip you over paid .......

18. feather

feather New commenter

its called victim blaming. You the teacher are bombarded with behaviour which undermines your ability to teach a curriculum. Instead of sorting out this huge culture of bad behaviour the Headteacher and/or SMT blame you. Dead easy they exonerate their own poor performance. Get another job, victim blaming is serious and as the bad behaviour escalates so will the victim blaming. Go now.

pepper5 likes this.
  19. MrEsson

MrEsson New commenter

Boring lessons certainly do affect behaviour. Then again poor behaviour can certainly make teaching engaging lessons difficult.

In a school where behaviour was good across the board but there were consistent issues in one or two classrooms I’d want to be looking at what is happening in the room.

If it’s a widespread issue across classrooms, across unstructured times etc there is an issue with culture. That starts ultimately at the top

JohnJCazorla likes this.
  20. MrMedia

MrMedia Star commenter

There is self-regulation and there is poor self-regulation. Even in a boring lesson, self-regulated pupils will comply. If the pupils are only complying during very compelling lessons then that suggests there is an issue with self-regulation rather than the lessons per se. An increase in the use of metacognition, self-awareness, intrinsic motivation and a decrease in the use of extrinsic motivational factors would be the kind of response I would expect. Increasing the number of engaging lessons would not achieve the outcome.

JohnJCazorla likes this.