1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Poor baby

Discussion in 'Parenting' started by chicabonita, Dec 21, 2011.

1. chicabonita

chicabonita New commenter

Baby is really run down. She hasn't been sleeping well since at least the start of November- it may be before then- and in that time period she's had a sickness bug and more or less a constant cold, which has got worse, given her a cough, stopped her sleeping even more... and she's been teething and now it seems she has conjuncitivits.
    Until now she has been such a healthy baby and it breaks my heart to see her so poorly with one thing after another. She is comparatively off her food, I've increased her (breast)feeds as it does soothe her at night or in the day if I'm at home and she is tired- dropping them again is the least of my worries at the moment! She's ok in herself- cheerful, inquisitive and lively most of the time, though obviously more 'fragile' than usual; but she doesn't look a well girl at all and I am starting to get really quite worried especially now with this eye infection.
    Is there anything we can give her to boost her immune system? She eats tons of fruit- that's the only thing she hasn't gone off of recently- and usually eats her porridge in the morning, then sporadically eats her lunch and/or tea which might be butternut squash risotto, beef or chicken stew, fish fingers, peanut butter on toast, egg, peas, tomatoes, pasta... Before she got ill her diet was brilliant, but now we're more concerned with getting her to eat something- she doesn't have junk but we no longer have sure-fire-hits, it's sporadic and changes day to day.
    We will take her to the doctor's (again) tomorrow, but any other tips would be gratefully received. I was even wondering about giving her a follow-on milk to increase her vitamin intake, although I don't know whether she'll go for it. She's never had a formula and so rarely used bottles that we've got rid of them now! She has always even had a reasonable amount of germs as we have a dog and of course now she's mobile, so it's not even that we are super-sterile in the house.

2. chicabonita

Baby is really run down. She hasn't been sleeping well since at least the start of November- it may be before then- and in that time period she's had a sickness bug and more or less a constant cold, which has got worse, given her a cough, stopped her sleeping even more... and she's been teething and now it seems she has conjuncitivits.
    Until now she has been such a healthy baby and it breaks my heart to see her so poorly with one thing after another. She is comparatively off her food, I've increased her (breast)feeds as it does soothe her at night or in the day if I'm at home and she is tired- dropping them again is the least of my worries at the moment! She's ok in herself- cheerful, inquisitive and lively most of the time, though obviously more 'fragile' than usual; but she doesn't look a well girl at all and I am starting to get really quite worried especially now with this eye infection.
    Is there anything we can give her to boost her immune system? She eats tons of fruit- that's the only thing she hasn't gone off of recently- and usually eats her porridge in the morning, then sporadically eats her lunch and/or tea which might be butternut squash risotto, beef or chicken stew, fish fingers, peanut butter on toast, egg, peas, tomatoes, pasta... Before she got ill her diet was brilliant, but now we're more concerned with getting her to eat something- she doesn't have junk but we no longer have sure-fire-hits, it's sporadic and changes day to day.
    We will take her to the doctor's (again) tomorrow, but any other tips would be gratefully received. I was even wondering about giving her a follow-on milk to increase her vitamin intake, although I don't know whether she'll go for it. She's never had a formula and so rarely used bottles that we've got rid of them now! She has always even had a reasonable amount of germs as we have a dog and of course now she's mobile, so it's not even that we are super-sterile in the house.

3. Sorry to hear about your poorly LO. I also have a poorly LO - referred to hospital today as she has bronchiolitis. It absolutely breaks your heart to see them so distressed (it's my LO's 1st birthday tomorrow - I had envisaged how it would be but now, it'll be great just to get her not to cry for a bit).
    As for your LO, I think take everything at her pace. She may just want more milk than usual (which is no bad thing as it gets the fluids into her). However, might be more draining on you if you're bf. If your LO takes the bottle,. it might be worth trying her with some formula - or even some water.
    Babies often go off solid food when they're ill - but usually regain their appetite.
    As for sleeping - my LO was up every hour last night and I think this night might be no different. She's really struggling to breathe so hospital have given us an inhaler to use for us (she absolutely hates it!).
    Hope she's better in tme for xmas.....

4. We've recently started on Abidec vitamins at the recommendation of the Health Visitor as LO seemed permenantly under the weather, in spite of an amazingly healthy diet! So far this winter she's had 3xchest infections and 3xconjunctivitis! She's been sleeping well so that doesn't seem to make any difference in our case. Antibiotics didn't do much either tbh but eventually she fights these things off.
    I think she has been a bit better since we started the vits, tbh being a teacher doesn't help as I'm sure we bring home lots of lurgy (x2 in this house as we're both teachers) plus all the bugs at nursery. If you do buy Abidec they have peanut oil in which I was wary about but HV said fine over 1 yr old.
    Good luck and get well soon x

5. We use abidec too - I was advised to by HV as I was breast feeding and I figured it wouldn't do any harm. My LO (touch wood) has been relatively ok in terms of catching bugs, etc. A few colds and upset tummy but nothing as bad as your poor LO. We are both teachers too.
    Until recently I was using the follow on formula for her cereal in the morning - if your LO will have porridge you could do the same? I add a bit of apple puree with the abidec (it sweetens the abidec a bit) to the porridge or cereal which might help your LO a bit - can't hurt anyway.
    Really hope LO is better soon, poor little thing x x

6. I don't know how old your LO is but last winter ours (who is now 22 months) was ill almost all the time. She had colds, bronchiolitis (with inhaler, like someone mentioned above), and over christmas itself had bronchiolitis, double ear infection and double conjunctivitis. She was most of the time ok within herself but off food and just under the weather. She was only really really ill for a couple of weeks of the winter.
    It was heart breaking but it passed - like yours she'd eat fruit and porridge and the odd other bit, as well as her milk.
    This year she has had 3 colds and has a cough all the time, to some degree, but she's basically not as ill as last winter (so far!).
    It is rubbish and sad (and hard work when they don't sleep well!) but I think it's fairly common especially in crawling babies over the winter months.

7. It is just the time of year Chica. The week before Christmas has been legendary for us - 8 months full blown flu (probably swine), 20 months full blown flu again (weird coincidence), 32 months on ABs for chest infection. It's just awful - she's had some kind of cough and countless colds since about October. Nursery doesnt help its like one big germ melting pot. Look at it on the bright side though - the more they pick up now the less they will later.

8. chicabonita

Thanks for the support. I should have said, she's nearly 11 months old. OH has taken her to doc now (he is nearly as ill poor thing) so I'll see what they say. Much sympathy for all the poorly little ones, it is a terrible time of year for it.

9. We've been poorly too. Last year lo was constantly ill and we just had to survive through it.
    Every time lo is ill I increase her breast feeds and up my vitamin intake. I take vit C, omega 3, and a multivitamin, when she's ill. We both had a d and v bug earlier this week and all she had was breastmilk, but she got back to normal pretty quick, quicker than I did to be honest.

10. undiwear

undiwear New commenter

Sorry to hear that your baby is fighting cold after cold. TBH, breastfeeding and increasing the breastfeeding is the absolute best thing for her. Forget that her diet has become limited. If you can sleep next to her and feed her through the night too, do it. The more feeds the better. Follow on milk is a con. It is designed to get around formula advertising to parents of babies under 6 mo old The added minerals and vitamins are less bioavailable than that in your milk plus it doesn't have the hundreds of enzymes, hormones, growth factors, and anti-infective qualites that your milk has.

I would not bother with a child multi vit either since your are breastfeeding. The only one I would do myself is to give cod liver oil. It has extra Vit D which this time of year we have more difficulty manufacturing and is known to help with combating colds and flu.

Have you tried expressing some milk into a t-spoon and putting it in your baby's eyes. It works for bacterial and viral conjunctivitis.

11. undiwear

undiwear New commenter

Another thought about the poorliness since Nov. A friend of mine last winter had a toddler (2yo at the time and still breastfeeding) who said similar about her toddler. Especially with the coughing which from what she was telling me seemed to keep her from sleeping at night. She kept saying doctors said she was ok, just winter bugs. This carried on for at least 2 months and by then her daughter had noticeably dropped down the weight chart. I knew she was a great eater and strapping child but now when I saw her after a long break, her collar bones were showing as if she was on teh skinny side of healthy. I said to persist and to go back, and to take her weight chart along which showed that she had dropped down the percentiles and to insist she is weighed again to record her current weight with the reasoning that even if nothing was done then, it would create a reading for future weighings to back up her concerns and that if she was dissatisfied to insist on a second opinion with a paed. The doctor decided to do so on the basis of testing for cystic fibrosis but it turns out on chest x-rays of her daughter that she had a chest infection.

In my unprofessional opinion, gps and paeds are not used to seeing breastfed toddlers whose bodies are coping with a chest infection because of the extra immunity boost from breast milk but who are in fact unwell. The chest infection then makes them more susceptible to lingering viral infections on top of it. GPs are used to seeing full blown poorly children who are on formula or cow's milk so they don't expect that they are seeing is a chest infection unless it is confirmed by xray or it gets significantly worse.

Good luck with whatever you decide to do and I hope you lo starts to improve soon.