1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Pool application and equal opportunities help?

Discussion in 'Jobseekers' started by empea, Jan 25, 2012.

1. empea

empea New commenter

So, I'm wanting to apply for a teaching pool and have come across a section of "equal opportunities" that asks for my sexual orientation.I'm a gay man.

I just wondered what the opinion was on how I should answer this question. At the end of the day, this should have no impact on my employability but I worry that it will.

If I put heterosexual. Im lying (and would this be grounds for dismissal?)
    If I put homosexual. Am I putting my employability at risk?
    If I put prefer not to say. I may as well have just put gay anyway.

So I know what I want to put, but I don't know if I should.

Anyone have any insight into this?

2. TheoGriff

TheoGriff Star commenter

Those questions should be on a separate sheet - aren't they? And without your name on?
    And normal practice is to remove those sheets first thing and set them aside for some poor soul to enter into a spreadsheet the data, anonymously, so that if they are asked they can show what the range of applicants was.
    Should not even be able to link this answer to your application by the time anyone gets to consider it.
    And the basic rule for any application is: NEVER EVER LIE about anything!
    Best wishes
    I do Application and Interview one-to-ones, and also contribute to the Job Application Seminars. We look at application letters, executive summaries and interviews, with practical exercises that people really appreciate.
    I shall be doing the Win That Teaching Job seminar on Saturday February 25th
    www.tesweekendworkshop87.eventbrite.com