1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

pomegranate molasses

Discussion in 'Cookery' started by nick909, Feb 12, 2011.

1. nick909

nick909 Lead commenter

Nice stirred into middle-eastern braises or used in middle-eastern marinades for chicken etc.
    I'm sure lapinrose will enlighten us further!

2. lapinrose

lapinrose Lead commenter

Chicken livers fried in butter, then the pan deglazed with the pomegranate molasses.
    Iranian cookery uses pomegranate a lot especially with chicken, quail, etc.

3. Not livers - bleugh.
    I must have seen a recipe somewhere that called for the stuff and bought it. Lapin, do you have a chicken recipe? That might ring bells.

4. Any tagine-y type dish can be made delish BUT give your tastebuds a treat...

... drizzle it over vanilla ice cream!

When newly opened it actually fizzles like sherbet - try pouring a little bit and licking it, deep, deep joy!
    As it oxides it stops fizzling and becomes more deliciously sweet/sour.

Chickpea recipe link lovely for lunches.
    Chicken wings link as a baste
    Have fun. We bought our first bottle of the stuff about 10 years ago and it quickly became a storecupboard staple. So many uses, just Google it!!!

5. THAT'S IT - it was the chickpea thing!!!! Hurray. Clever pobble. Thank you
    C x

6. Crikey - whooda thunk it?

It is nice and once you start you will find loads of things to do with it.
    Having searched for you I found a few recipes for making it!!!! I might give that a try!!

7. nick909

nick909 Lead commenter

It's really nice with duck.
    For four, sear 4 seasoned duck breasts in an ovenproof frying pan and then place in a hot oven, skin side up for about 10-15 minutes. Remove, and while the duck breasts are resting, deglaze the pan (pour out any excess fat) with a couple of tablespoons of water and the same of pomegranate molasses. Add a pinch of cinammon and allow to reduce a little. Season and serve as a sauce for the duck breasts. The sharpness cuts through the richness of the duck beautifully.