1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

POLL: What time CAN you leave school for the day???

Discussion in 'Teaching abroad' started by CoastTeacher, Apr 13, 2019.

?

What time can you leave school for the day?

1. Before 2:00

1.5%
  2. 2:30

9.1%
  3. 3:00

13.6%
  4. 3:30

31.8%
  5. 4:00

27.3%
  6. 4:30

10.6%
  7. After 5:00

6.1%
  1. yasf

yasf Occasional commenter

I've generally found that it depends on whether the school is non profit or not.

That said, with meetings and ASAs, I've rarely ever got to leave when I 'can' leave. Neither have most of my colleagues.

2. Karvol

Karvol Occasional commenter

Current school and the previous one are both IB. First two schools were English boarding schools, doing A Levels.

I have only ever worked in boarding schools, so it may be something peculiar to them, rather than the country.

576 likes this.
  3. amysdad

amysdad Established commenter

8am - 4.30pm. Which, to be fair, is what I tended to do at home anyway. However, if I need to leave early (e.g. for the bank, doctor, etc) then it's not an issue - and our secondary is also usually like the Marie Celeste by 4 on Fridays.

There is an issue in primary - I think this is cultural, as I noticed it in Scotland too. There, we have the contractual right to undertake planning, preparation and marking "at a time and place of the teacher's choosing" but I noticed that friends and relations who worked in primary frequently found it difficult to do because of restrictions like taking the kids to parents, etc - much of which is, in my view, unnecessary (apart from the very little ones.)

4. miketribe

miketribe Established commenter

We have a similar problem except that all our primary classes have classroom assistants so they can share the load if either needs to leave at 3:45 on the dot, or if they have a "special" at the end of the day.

5. gulfgolf

gulfgolf Established commenter

I've had the opposite experience in my (slightly) longer tenure. All my schools had working hours; none were boarding schools; most were IB schools. If you occasionally need to visit the bank or have a medical appointment during school hours, you work it out with your principal, who doesn't say no unreasonably.