1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Poll Tax

Discussion in 'Personal' started by Burndenpark, Feb 6, 2016.

?

How do you think about the poll tax?

1. Yeah, my Granny talks about it now and then

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  2. I supported the poll tax right up to finding out I'd have to pay more

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  3. I had/ have a huge house- the poll tax saved me a packet

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  4. The poll tax pushed up my bills but morally I still support it- something for nothing is wrong

2 vote(s)
    66.7%
  5. The Poll Tax and the EU question are totally divers and I'll explain why you are wrong on the thread

2 vote(s)
    66.7%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. Burndenpark

Burndenpark Star commenter

Before the poll tax I remember things being similar to how they are at the moment over the EU.
    The more right-wing press and lots of people seem to think that they will benefit from the change and are trying hard to convince everyone else that it will be a good thing. They seem very concerned that a family of 20 immigrants they've heard about are doing better than they are and generally are convinced that they personally are supporting the whole of society.
    I just wonder, from amongst the other oldies on this site, how you felt about it.

2. grumpydogwoman

grumpydogwoman Star commenter

All I really remember is the kerfuffle.

Let's see. Wealthy old people in big houses with high rateable value ended up paying a lot less. Overcrowded families in tenements ended up paying a lot more.

So why the hell I voted as I did on the poll above I do not know!

3. Didactylos4

Didactylos4 Star commenter

The options provided do not allow me to honestly contribute to the poll

wanet and Flere-Imsaho like this.
  4. Burndenpark

Burndenpark Star commenter

If it's not too late I'll add it- what do you want Didactylos?

EDIT
    Actually I think it is- sorry

You could post your views?

5. Didactylos4

Not without incurring the wrath of the moderators BP. :D

I do however think that the debate/arguments over the poll tax were a lot less divisive than the current debates/arguments

6. Lascarina

Lascarina Star commenter

And where do the divers come in?;)

7. InkyP

InkyP Star commenter

None of the above. As a single parent with an average sized house my bill was halved when Poll Tax came in.

8. catmother

catmother Star commenter

I remember the Torries trying it on Scotland first.

sparkleghirl likes this.
  9. sparkleghirl

sparkleghirl Star commenter

Yes.

I also remember it for helping to get rid of Thatcher which enabled the Tories to get re-elected which meant Labour lurching to the right and ultimately led to the rise of the Blairites and the terrible damage they did.

monicabilongame and Duke of York like this.
  10. GLsghost

GLsghost Star commenter

A local tax - whatever it is called - pays for local services: police, rubbish collection etc. Everyone who uses those service should pay for them. Those genuinely unable to pay should have relief, just as they do now from Council Tax or Housing Benefit.

No-one argues (or perhaps they do?) that rent should be differentiated according to ability to pay. Paying for local services should not be related to or dependent upon property value. For that reason I supported the Community Charge then and do now. It was (very successful) leftist propaganda to name it the Poll Tax, associating it with the unfair tax levied in the 14th century. Any meaningful debate about the fairness of the Community Charge was lost in a well-organised attack from the militant left determined to challenge anything the then Conservative government proposed on principle.

As regards the EU, any debate about leaving is in danger of being similarly drowned by those with polarised views, intent on kettling such debate into an anti-immigration alarmist container and labelling it as the stance of the extreme right.

Whislst clearly there are those of that persuasion campaigning to leave, the more widely-held argument is that the EU is undemocratic, incompetent and corrupt. Not only would we be better economically to be no part of it, our continued membership compromises our sovereignty and defence of our nation and values. I have voted to leave at every opportunity and will do so in this referendum.

As you can infer, I am a Conservative voter but do not subscribe to your dismissive stereotype. Neither do any of the other Conservative voters I know. I am not racist or anti-immigration. I empathise with and spend my week working20+ hours on a voluntary basis to assist those whose circumstances are not as fortunate as mine. My core beliefs are that individuals should take responsibility for their own lives and that the nation cannot thrive without a strong economy.

wanet and lanokia like this.
  11. Didactylos4

Are you sure?
    :D

12. grumpydogwoman

grumpydogwoman Star commenter

But two adults in one house don't make double the work for local services.

The food packaging for two people isn't twice as much as the waste for one. So waste disposal costs aren't doubled. A couple running one car don't take up twice as much road/parking space as a single person.

In rural areas it's the elderly person (and I'm elderly too!) in a large and remote house who represents quite a drain on services. Get the cop car or bin lorry out into the sticks.

I can see both sides.

So I propose a hybrid levy. Partly based on income/wealth and partly on a per person basis.

Yes, yes. Fiendishly expensive to administer. I know.

13. Scintillant

Scintillant Star commenter

Yes, but not everyone can or does for a variety of reasons. Not everyone has the best start in life. And we have to look after them. We do not exist in isolation.

A belief in the market and the fixation with the bottom line is destroying education.

grumpydogwoman likes this.
  14. GLsghost

GLsghost Star commenter

When we lived in Germany, we liked the system they had there, which seemed very fair.

Essentially, you buy the size of bin you want for your household and pay a commensurate refuse-collection tax on it. If you have a large family and use a lreg bin, you pay more; if you have a large family and use a small bin, because you recycle and are not so wasteful, you pay less tax; if you are a single person with a lot of rubbish, you pay for a big bin.

Seems to work and encourages people to consider the environment too..

cissy3, grumpydogwoman, wanet and 2 others like this.
  15. GLsghost

GLsghost Star commenter

Provision is made to support such people, but it is surely wrong to condemn them to a lifetime on benefits and not to encourage them to take responsibility for themselves.

wanet likes this.
  16. Scintillant

Scintillant Star commenter

It's a redundant argument. Everyone who can be responsible for their actions should be - nobody will disagree with that. The problem with many conservatives is that they don't give a toss when people are in no position to be, or their lives are such that they aren't. Which is why for example this happens:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-35476904

and people at death's door are being found fit for work and having benefits removed, and dying alone and starving.

17. anotherauntsally

anotherauntsally Lead commenter

That doesn't necessarily follow. As GL has said, it depends on the individual/family.

Don't understand why an elderly person in a large, remote house would be likely to cause a bigger drain on rubbish removal services than an elderly or not so elderly person in a smaller house in a remote location.

FritzGrade and wanet like this.
  18. lanokia

lanokia Star commenter

Is this not for the 14th century poll tax?

Because I suspect it might lead to a ruckus...

[​IMG]

19. GLsghost

GLsghost Star commenter

I know a lot of people who are Conservative voters. I don't know a single one who fits your caricature. Perhaps I mix with a better class of Conservatives, or perhaps your argument is flawed?

FritzGrade likes this.
  20. magic surf bus

magic surf bus Star commenter

I find reading all those poll options too taxing, so I'm not voting.

anotherauntsally likes this.