1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Poll: Parental rights versus SLT virtue signals

Discussion in 'Education news' started by Vince_Ulam, Mar 25, 2019.

?

As a parent & teacher, who knows best what your child must learn about moral beliefs & behaviour?

1. I do

12 vote(s)
    75.0%
  2. The SLT of my child's school

4 vote(s)
    25.0%
  1. Vince_Ulam

Vince_Ulam Star commenter

Who do SLTs serve, the parents of the community whose children they teach or their own self-important sense of virtue?

Mother sues Croydon primary school over ‘pride parade’

[​IMG]

'A Christian mother who refused to allow her four-year-old son to take part in an LGBT “pride parade” at primary school has formally complained to Damian Hinds, the education secretary, that the school had embarked on “systematic proselytism of its young and vulnerable pupils”.

She is also seeking a five-figure sum in compensation from the governing body of Heavers Farm Primary School in Croydon, south London, because she claims her family has been victimised. Izoduwa Montague, 35, said: “We have to make sure parents are back in control of what happens to their children in the school system. I don’t think we wave them goodbye at the school gates and say ‘do what you like with them’.”

A backlash from parents forced the school to downgrade its planned Proud to be Me! parade in June.

Susan Papas, the head teacher, said at the time: “I was surprised at how unembarrassed some parents were about coming into school and expressing quite strong homophobic views.”
    '
    TheTimes.co.uk, 24th March 2019.

At first glance this suit seems excessive but what is striking about this news story is the willingness of a head teacher to publicly label as 'homophobic' some of the parents of her pupils and to bar several of them from the school premises:

'"[The school] stopped treating me like any other parent but were antagonistic towards me... unreasonably excluding me from the premises, victimising my child and not taking my safeguarding concerns seriously," she said.'
    BBC.co.uk, 21st November 2018.

'Izoduwa Montague is one of at least 14 parents who complained to the headteacher of Heavers Farm when pupils as young as 5 were forced, without any right to opt-out, to participate in a Pride Parade.60 The Christian Legal Centre, who has been supporting Izoduwa and appeared with her before the school’s Governors, have also been made aware that at least 3 parents who complained (including Izoduwa) were barred from the school premises after making their complaints and that their children faced numerous and lengthy detentions.'
    ChristianConcern.com, 11th December 2018.

This suit is a much needed signal that, as Mrs Montague says, parents do not wave their children goodbye at the school gates and say to teachers '‘do what you like with them’.'

2. aypi

aypi Established commenter

There may have been intolerance of homosexuality and other lifestyles before Islam and Christianity, but both these belief systems have entrenched it. These children are in the process of being brainwashed by their parents, imams and priests.
    The last hope is their SLT.
    Oh dear.

3. WB

WB New commenter

Taking recent news reports onto account, I voted SLT.

agathamorse likes this.
  4. Vince_Ulam

5. WB

WB New commenter

Better than some parents.

6. Vince_Ulam

Chalk & cheese.

7. bessiesmith

bessiesmith Occasional commenter

There's not necessarily one right answer - there are anecdotes to support both cases. However, it is worth pointing out that to become a Head, one's values have to pass the scrutiny of governing bodies and interview panels, but there are no checks at all which bar you from becoming a parent. There are certainly some parents whose moral values should not be passed on to children.

agathamorse, Eszett and Alice K like this.
  8. Vince_Ulam

Governors & panels are not infallible, nor are their appointees incorruptible

Academy boss 'ordered schools to cheat on Sats tests'
    BBC.co.uk, 25th March 2019.

Some of those parents being SLT.