1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Poll: Meghan Markle fights unconscious colour bias...

Discussion in 'Personal' started by Vince_Ulam, Sep 8, 2018.

?

Do you own a black pet?

1. Yes, I believe in affirmative pet-ownership

2 vote(s)
    25.0%
  2. No, but some of my best friends are pets

6 vote(s)
    75.0%
  1. Vince_Ulam

Vince_Ulam Star commenter

In pet choice:

Why Meghan and Harry decision to adopt a BLACK Labrador is poignant and very heartwarming

'Meghan and Harry decided to choose a black labrador, because black pets often do not get adopted at shelters, according to one top dog trainer.

Eryn Martyn-Godfrey, at Believe In Magic Dog Training & Behaviour in London, said black dogs often get left behind at shelters, and do not get adopted as readily as pets with lighter coloured fur coats.

She told Express.co.uk: "Black dogs often don't get adopted or rescued, and in shelters they're often the last to be picked because of their coat colour.

"Black cats and dogs often get that taboo, and according to statistics in the UK and US this is an ongoing problem seen at adoption centres."
    '
    Express.co.uk, 8th September 2018.

I urge you, friends, look at your dogs, cats, fish, bunnies & budgies and ask yourself: 'Am I a pet-Nazi?'

Here is a picture of Meghan with her previous dogs including, on the right, Bogart who she adopted from a shelter:

[​IMG]
    Express.co.uk, 8th September 2018.

I must ask the question which is on everyone's minds: Meghan Markle a pet-Nazi? I think we should be told.

Last edited: Sep 8, 2018
  2. artboyusa

artboyusa Lead commenter

I think its great that she adopted those dogs even though, judging by the photo, she was apparently so broke at the time that she had to wear jeans with great wacking holes in them. Courage!

3. elder_cat

elder_cat Established commenter

Warning: Black cats are best suited to those who don't need to frequent Specsavers.

We have recently been adopted by a black cat. My eyesight's not as good as it was, and when she lays around and the lights are dimmed, I invariably trip over her. Looking for a reasonably priced neon flashing collar. (For the cat).

sabrinakat likes this.
  4. annie2010

annie2010 Occasional commenter

Can't imagine why adopters would even care!

Dragonlady30 and border_walker like this.
  5. bombaysapphire

bombaysapphire Star commenter

I am aware that it can be more difficult to home black rescue dogs. Our first rescue dog was about to be sent back to the dogs' home for the fifth time due to his separation anxiety - he was cream. We went to look for a buddy to keep him company. There was a black lurcher who had been in the dogs' home for about 6 weeks, or the white lurcher who had been in there for a year. We adopted the white one. When we were looking the suitable dogs with the greatest need happened to be white/cream.

When we look next, again we will adopt the one who is right for us and who needs a home most.

border_walker likes this.
  6. lapinrose

lapinrose Lead commenter

I know people who choose to have black labradors!

7. catbefriender

catbefriender Lead commenter

[​IMG]

Even within the animal kingdom!:eek:

sabrinakat and Dragonlady30 like this.
  8. Dragonlady30

Dragonlady30 Star commenter

FAB!! :D

catbefriender likes this.
  9. sabrinakat

sabrinakat Star commenter

Have you seen THE CAT?

20180729_115847.jpg

Sillow, Vince_Ulam and Dragonlady30 like this.
  10. Sillow

Sillow Lead commenter

I can honestly say I've never given the colour of a pet's coat a second thought. We had a tabby cat and a tabby/tortoiseshell cat growing up, they were just the colour they were. I always thought I'd get another tortoiseshell or something when I get a cat.

Pets are just nice whatever colour, surely?

11. vinnie24

vinnie24 Lead commenter

I wonder if there will ever be a thread about Meghan Markle and it wll not involve colour.

LunaBlue123 and border_walker like this.
  12. Vince_Ulam

Here, let me help you with that:

Meghan Markle is wearing a hat!

13. vinnie24

vinnie24 Lead commenter

14. Laphroig

Laphroig Lead commenter

I love black cats.
    As for MM - pics or it didn’t happen. Such a publicity conscious woman.

border_walker likes this.
  15. Grandsire

Grandsire Senior commenter

I chose my two rescue cats by phone solely on the basis of their age (ancient) and need (a very quiet home), but I'll admit his handsome stripy-grey attire caught my eye and made me determined to have them both, despite the hissing, spitting and drooling from his companion.

I'd have a black cat next if that's what needs a home. My mum's two cats are black-and-white and white-and-black, but you don't get to choose when you take in whatever cats turn up in your garden.

16. Vince_Ulam

Your mistake is in thinking you own a garden.

[​IMG]