1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Poll: Cancel Brexit

Discussion in 'Personal' started by Vince_Ulam, Jan 19, 2019.

?

Cancel Brexit?

1. Yes

65.1%
  2. No

34.9%
  1. Vince_Ulam

Vince_Ulam Star commenter

This nonsense has gone on long enough, cost too much money and is likely to cost a lot more and reduce living standards in the UK for generations.

Let us cancel Brexit.

TCSC47, HelenREMfan, JL48 and 7 others like this.
  2. Ivartheboneless

Ivartheboneless Star commenter

Apathy finally kicked in it seems Vince?

3. monicabilongame

monicabilongame Star commenter

For those of you who have voted not to cancel Brexit, what sort of Brexit do you want to happen? This still hasn't been decided or agreed on or even properly articulated.

4. Vince_Ulam

I think the lives of some people here are far too comfortable to worry about the hardships of those coming up should Brexit manifest. Their views might change only when the price of their prawn terrine rockets in price.

Mrsmumbles, TCSC47, JL48 and 6 others like this.
  5. sparklesparkle

sparklesparkle Established commenter

We have our own stock of prawns in south west England and the North Sea.

https://britishseafishing.co.uk/prawn-and-shrimp-species/

nomad and Sir_Henry like this.
  6. Vince_Ulam

7. sparklesparkle

The 'war' over fishing rights is the reason why so many fishermen voted leave. And that lovely Geldof chap, a multi-millionaire, saw fit to give them abuse and stick up his middle finger.

Catgirl1964 likes this.
  8. Vince_Ulam

There are fools in every industry & profession; everything was settled until Brexit.

9. sparklesparkle

So the majority of fishermen are 'fools'? Maybe they are too working-class to know what's best for them? And your idea of a settlement is UK fishermen having to tie up their boats while their EU neighbours take UK stock from under their noses?

lexus300 and Bentley89 like this.
  10. Vince_Ulam

Show that the majority of fishermen voted for Brexit.

Plenty of working class people voted against Brexit,

I have responded to two of your straw men. I cannot be bothered with your third.

JL48 and chrisoakey like this.
  11. sparklesparkle

12. sparklesparkle

You advocate cancelling Brexit but you can't be bothered to consider why a key group of workers voted overwhelmingly to leave?

I see...

I've noticed that you voted in your own poll. Isn't this akin to a politician who votes for himself in an election?

Catgirl1964, TEA2111 and lexus300 like this.
  13. Vince_Ulam

'Voted': Past tense.

14. sparklesparkle

I cited an academic source from King's College London and this is your response?

Perhaps you think a majority of those 92% read something on TES written by a clueless teacher and changed their minds?

Catgirl1964, TEA2111 and Bentley89 like this.
  15. Vince_Ulam

JL48 and sodalime like this.
  16. monicabilongame

People voted to leave for what they thought were very good reasons.
    Some of them were excellent reasons based on informed and educated consideration.
    Some of them were really stupid reasons based on media and politicians' lies, bigotry and fear.
    None of them are about to change their viewpoint unless and until they experience something that makes them reconsider their original choice and, maybe, change it.

Ditto those who voted to remain, who voted that way for their own very good reasons, and which they are not about to change unless and until something comes up that makes them reconsider their original choice and, maybe, change it.

For those who feel they have no control over their lives, anything that gives them the illusion of control will be grabbed and held onto, and this is what I think the leave vote is for many who feel they have been unheard, unregarded and considered unimportant for so long. Brexit will change none of that - the politicians and the big corporations will not change, but while disenfranchised people believe they have even a smidgeon of control over others, they will not give it up easily.

17. florian gassmann

florian gassmann Star commenter

I have not changed my mind since the day after the referendum. If we have to leave the EU, then I think we need a comprehensive free trade deal (Canada +, if you like).

18. sparklesparkle

19. sparklesparkle

The stereotype of thick, bigoted Brexit voters does not enhance the credibility of those who repeat it.

Quite the opposite, actually.

Catgirl1964 likes this.
  20. monicabilongame

So don't repeat it then - I didn't use those words, you did.

dleaf12, JL48, mathsmutt and 3 others like this.