1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Poll: Armed police

Discussion in 'Personal' started by Vince_Ulam, May 20, 2018.

?

Do you wish for each member of your local constabulary to routinely carry a gun?

1. No

90.3%
  2. Yes

9.7%
  1. Vince_Ulam

Vince_Ulam Star commenter

PETER HITCHENS: We need proper constables - not these swaggering gunmen

[​IMG]

'The mere sight of an armed police officer in this country makes me instantly furious and miserable. Sometimes I just have to look away, while I collect myself. Then I hurry off, as fast as I can.

This is instinctive and emotional. But it is not irrational. The reasons for it run deep. I was brought up in a country which was actively proud that its police were not armed.

Now I am told that rural police are to be armed on the excuse that this will guard our shires against terrorism. It is a pretext. It just means that, like everywhere else, our police will routinely have firearms. This will be the end of Britain as it was.
    '
    DailyMail.co.uk, Getty Images 20th May 2018.

2. peakster

peakster Star commenter

Unless there is real justification - then no.

les25paul and Jolly_Roger15 like this.
  3. Vince_Ulam

4. border_walker

border_walker Lead commenter

5. MAGAorMIGA

MAGAorMIGA Star commenter

Policing by consent has always been the cornerstone of the relationship between police and public. Guns would change, guns would destroy that relationship. The contempt with which cops are regarded in America even by the law-abiding is proof enough of that.

les25paul likes this.
  6. dumpty

dumpty Star commenter

I think all of us having had to deal with the vast amount of incompetent people in positions of authority within the public sector would be very uneasy at the thought of such people being given guns.

Nowhere is this more apparent than when you see on US reality shows or news a proud copper saying how much he protected and served the public by shooting in the chest (not the leg) an unarmed drunk man who was using foul language towards him ( and who so, so easily could have been shot in the leg if need be).

Worse, no one bats an eyelid and the copper gets an award.

Think we are above this? It will be exactly the same here as standards are so low.

7. Scintillant

Scintillant Star commenter

Properly tooled up coppers would be a step too far!

[​IMG]

8. Vince_Ulam

In terms of policing, @dumpty, America has challenges Britain does not.

9. dumpty

dumpty Star commenter

True.

I just do not think you can train any man or woman to be trusted with a lethal weapon, not least when they also have the monopoly on use of violence.
    (And that yes we see examples of this on a daily basis in the USA)

10. les25paul

les25paul Star commenter

Of course there is the need for some coppers in some situations to be constantly armed. Sometimes with the weapon in full view other times with it out of sight.

But the best option to adopt would be to have a few armed Police as possible but sufficient to do the job. If every Police Officer was armed then it could start an "arms race" when more crooks would arm themselves for "protection". It would make your average bobby more of a target then they are already.

lapinrose and Vince_Ulam like this.
  11. Vince_Ulam

I presume you to mean that within the civilian context.

It is right that the state should have the monopoly on violence but that monopoly should be exercised only in response to violence or its imminent threat.

12. racroesus

racroesus Star commenter

All my local officers carry unconcealed firearms.

13. lapinrose

lapinrose Star commenter

I'm torn, I am sad that society is getting to the stage when we have to consider arming the police. It's such a bad reflection on Britain, however I do think there will come a time when we have to arm them, a sad statement.

border_walker likes this.
  14. T34

T34 Established commenter

It's not that a sad society makes us consider arming the police - it's that considering arming the police makes us a sad society

15. oldsomeman

oldsomeman Star commenter

the troublein our cities should give us a clue as to why such things as arming every ploiceman is considered.The reality is there is not enough police trained to handle guns..we not longer live in the days of law abbiders,The threats are real and police are trained to a high level and standards..thank god we dont have the days of the Sweeny when ordinary coppers could use handguns almost ***** nilly.
    I would prefere coppers to not ne armed....but you cant stop a person intent om mayhem witha trucheon...the days of dixion of dock green are over.

16. Vince_Ulam

Unless you're within a truncheon's reach of them.

17. lanokia

lanokia Star commenter

I believe UK police have access to Tasers...

les25paul and JL48 like this.
  18. JL48

JL48 Star commenter

Is the real problem.

I suspect that the Americans want to start militarising our Police, in the same way that they have done their own, as part of a post Brexit trade deal. My guess is that this is behind a lot of what is going on.

19. burajda

burajda Star commenter

At least we will avoid a French style Gendarmerie in that case.

20. JL48

JL48 Star commenter

Why are they worse?