1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

politicians as cartoon characters

Discussion in 'Personal' started by delnon, Feb 27, 2016.

1. delnon

delnon Lead commenter

Apologies if this has been done, but a search found nothing.
    Defining "politician" a bit loosely, which cartoon characters would they be?
    I'll set the ball rolling:

David Cameron - Wile E Coyote.
    Michael Gove - Daffy Duck (ea-sy!)
    Mickey Wilshaw - Josemite Sam.

aspensquiver_2 likes this.
  2. Grassroots_Out

Grassroots_Out Occasional commenter

I thought something in pigs would be more up Cameron's street.

Vladimir likes this.
  3. delnon

delnon Lead commenter

Brilliant idea, thank you! Nigel Farage - Porky Pig. Why didn't I think of th-th--that'sall, folks! earlier?

aspensquiver_2 likes this.
  4. Grassroots_Out

Not very accurate. Farage is very slim.

Vladimir likes this.
  5. delnon

delnon Lead commenter

So are his chances. :)

Sorry about that. If it's any consolation, at the last election I voted UKIP.

But that was because I couldn't bear to give my worthless vote to the lousy mainstream parties.

Meanwhile: Jeremy Corbyn - J. Wellington Wimpey.

6. Grassroots_Out

His chances of what?

Vladimir likes this.
  7. Duke of York

Duke of York Star commenter

I've refused to give my vote to any party since Thatcher won in 1979. There hasn't been one worthy of my endorsing their credibility.

I get it in the neck on here and elsewhere when I say that, but I can't for the life of me understand the point of voting for something I don't want.

8. Grassroots_Out

Why don't you start your own party?
    What would be your manifesto?

Vladimir likes this.
  9. Grassroots_Out

And will you be voting in the referendum?

Vladimir likes this.
  10. Duke of York

Duke of York Star commenter

I'm not such a loser, nor so vain that I imagine I could defeat the system with my limited wealth. Neither am I prepared to lie or act otherwise deceitfully to achieve political gain. I set myself standards to live by and follow them. The closest I shall ever be able to get in altering things is to express my discontent at the way things are and my contempt at the people who pull the strings that have left us in the mess we are in today.

Clearly I don't have a manifesto. Things I'd like to see in others would be fair pay, decent accommodation for all at an affordable price and genuinely equal opportunity to get on coupled with encouragement for small businesses to thrive against the oppression of multinationals who have the power to instantly wipe them out when they get in their way.

My vision for how Britain ought to be, and indeed how the world ought to be, is one where anybody who wants to work hard can better themselves. It was the case when I was younger, but ironically ceased to be so after Thatcher came along.

Opportunity for social migration stopped when the cost of housing spiraled out of control and the minimum wage became the norm. It's our own government policies that have entrapped generations now and in the future into debt and relative poverty in this nation. The EU didn't play a part in that and is a red herring when it comes to assessing the overall discontent people feel.

The referendum is and has only ever been, a vehicle for for adjusting the balance of influence the rich.have among themselves.

Voting for what, exactly? The replacement of the odious system of government we currently have for the same, but with greater insecurity? Do me a favour, will yer?

Vladimir and delnon like this.
  11. Grassroots_Out

You sound a bit tested, old boy!

What a lot of rhetoric! I know a good beer hall in Munich, if you want an audience. Bit different these days, but if you want to take a turn I'll put a good word in. But I'm impressed!

By the way, if you want something different, you've got to take a step into the unknown and vote for something different! I'll leave it to you to decide what that is.

ConvivialCatMan and Vladimir like this.
  12. delnon

delnon Lead commenter

Theresa May - Officer Dibble.

Back on Topic.

13. Vladimir

Vladimir Senior commenter

Why cartoon politicians when they, themselves are cartoons?

And yes, I'll include Farage in that, but at least he's honest, British and knows what he's talking about!

The guy looks like a drinking, smoking (which I can't abide) frog, but I'd rather have smoke-filled taverns again, than the other kind of Frogs telling us what to do and how to spend our money! Without the EU, we'd be rolling in the stuff!