1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Political Journalists Boycott Number10

Discussion in 'Personal' started by Scintillant, Feb 3, 2020.

1. Scintillant

Scintillant Star commenter

2. catmother

catmother Star commenter

Straight from the Trump's playbook.

3. peakster

peakster Star commenter

Very dangerous precedent to set so early in the lifetime of a government.

They're panicking already.

4. peakster

peakster Star commenter

Watching Johnson's press conference today - most questions he just answered with complete nonsense.

Bluster and ****** - it's all he's capable of.

5. lanokia

lanokia Star commenter

They can talk to whomever they like.

So what? Non-story that consists of journalists whining... how it has any credence is beyond me.

lexus300 and artboyusa like this.
  6. peakster

peakster Star commenter

Sorry Lan -but on this occasion you're wrong.

It IS a story.

7. MAGAorMIGA

MAGAorMIGA Star commenter

I think it is appalling that the Government are preventing Ministers from appearing on the Today Programme. They are evading scrutiny - whether it is by parliamentarians, political interviewers and journalists, or judges.

8. Aquamarina1234

Aquamarina1234 Star commenter

Don't like it? Banned.

CraigCarterSmith and Scintillant like this.
  9. MAGAorMIGA

MAGAorMIGA Star commenter

I hadn't seen this story so I went to find it, and I was extremely disturbed by what I read:

"Political journalists boycotted a Downing Street briefing on Monday after one of Boris Johnson’s aides banned selected reporters from attending.

The confrontation took place inside No 10 after Lee Cain, Johnson’s most senior communications adviser, tried to exclude reporters from the Mirror, the i, HuffPost, PoliticsHome, the Independent and others from an official government briefing.

At a time of escalating tensions between Downing Street and the media, Labour accused Johnson of deploying Donald Trump-like tactics to avoid scrutiny."

Who's this Lee Cain? I've never heard of him, but he looks like a thug, and his tactics are thuggish.

"The incident happened in the foyer of No 10 when journalists on the invited list were asked to stand on one side of a rug, while those not allowed in were asked by security to stand on the other side.

When Cain told the banned journalists to leave, the rest of the journalists decided to walk out collectively rather than allow Downing Street to choose who scrutinises and reports on the government."

Good on the journalists, but the fact that Johnson even attempted this speaks volumes. Whose playbook is he using? Trump's? Erdogan's? Modi's? Can we next expect press conferences given over to denunciations of "fake news BBC"?

"Among those who refused the briefing on the UK’s trade negotiations with the EU were the BBC’s Laura Kuenssberg, ITV’s Robert Peston, and political journalists from Sky News, the Daily Mail, the Telegraph, the Sun, the Financial Times and the Guardian."

Well done them. I am surprised but pleased to see a Daily Mail journalist showing integrity and solidarity with his colleagues.

littlejackhorner likes this.
  10. Scintillant

Wow.

BetterNow likes this.
  11. artboyusa

artboyusa Star commenter

I suppose if I had any respect for "political journalists" (now there's a term that's appropriate in more ways than one) or thought that what they do had more than entertainment value or thought they made a positive contribution to the national conversation or didn't think that they are all just political activists in disguise, then I'd be way upset about this.
    But instead, meh.

lexus300 and border_walker like this.
  12. Duke of York

Duke of York Star commenter

What has a government with an 80 seat majority got to panic about? I think they're just pushing the boundaries to see what happens.

Access to the media is vital for government. Access to the government is vital for news outlets. It will be interesting to see who the journalists talk to for their stories, because you can be sure as eggs is eggs, they'll be publishing something.

In other news, https://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/cummings-spies-on-aides-at-lunch-6mxrvrbhj

border_walker likes this.
  13. LondonCanary

LondonCanary Star commenter

Please can you post links rather than copy/paste without acknowledgement of the publisher or author.

14. nomad

nomad Star commenter

Actually, they didn't ban selected reporters. They invited selected reporters. Slight difference.

Number 10 invited a small group of senior political editors of larger media organisations including the BBC, ITV, Daily Mail, Guardian, The Sun, Sky News, and The Times for an additional detailed briefing in Downing Street. This is not the first time this has happened, nor the first time that Downing Street has favoured selected reporters from the so-called “inner Lobby”.

Today many more Lobby hacks turned up uninvited to this extra briefing, causing a stand off in the entrance hall of Number 10, with journalists demanding to attend the extra briefing and Number 10 rebuffing them. Eventually, the invited journalists walked out along with the uninvited ones, and the briefing did not go ahead.

Blair and Campbell did selective briefings all the time!

15. chelsea2

chelsea2 Star commenter

If that was the case (and perhaps, as requested for Maga, you could quote your sources), why did the journalists who WERE invited chooose to walk out?

16. LondonCanary

My comment was directed at MAGA for copying other people's work without attribution.
    Nomad posts (I believe) in his own words.

border_walker likes this.
  17. Orkrider2

Orkrider2 Star commenter

intrigued as to how one turns up to no.10 uninvited and gets as far as the entrance hall.

Jamvic likes this.
  18. Scintillant

Journalists have tonight said that nothing like this happened under Blair, despite the fact that Blair's team hated them.

19. Scintillant

Nope. People on here don't italicise newspaper titles, and people who italicise them incorrectly work for some second rate outfit like:
    https://order-order.com/2020/02/03/lobby-stages-walkout-number-10-briefing/

It's from that rancid Guido website.

20. LondonCanary