1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Polite way to refuse interviews

Discussion in 'Jobseekers' started by LoveHumanities, May 19, 2020.

1. LoveHumanities

LoveHumanities New commenter

Hi tes community.

This is my first post and I hope the community can help me.

I am excepting to qualify as an NQT for this year. I have accepted an NQT job for the new academic year but have subsequently received a number of interviews from jobs I had applied earlier. It happens to be that these interviews are closer to home and ideally suited to me geographically. Nevertheless, I have committed verbally and remain grateful to the school. My question is how can I politely refuse being shortlisted for an interview without losing the possibility of being offered a job at the school again?

Many thanks! :)

TheoGriff likes this.
  2. Owleyes00

Owleyes00 New commenter

This happens all the time. Just send a very brief email saying something like “Many thanks for your interest in my application. Unfortunately I will need to withdraw my application as I have recently accepted another position”. It’s fine

bonxie, LoveHumanities and TheoGriff like this.
  3. steely1

steely1 Occasional commenter

Agree with Owleyeys00 - it's no problem, and a short, polite email to the school(s) concerned is fine, as long as you send it in advance of the interview date, and the school(s) have enough warning of you withdrawing.

Well done, by the way - not only the fact that you have a NQT job lined up, but the fact that you're being shortlisted elsewhere: you must be a strong candidate!

bonxie, LoveHumanities and TheoGriff like this.
  4. lindenlea

lindenlea Star commenter

The head will read your email, say "Oh b u g g e r " and move on. Don't worry about it.

LoveHumanities, steely1 and TheoGriff like this.
  5. TheoGriff

TheoGriff Star commenter

Congratulations!

I hope all goes well for you as you start in the best job in the world!

Keep safe, everyone

lindenlea and LoveHumanities like this.
  6. LoveHumanities

LoveHumanities New commenter

Thank you! It's refreshing to find such a supportive community - I guess I will say this on behalf of all NQTs we really appreciate your help!

I second @TheoGriff stay safe everyone.

7. becky70

becky70 Occasional commenter

As you have a job lined up, you are no longer available for these other posts. The heads of the other schools will appreciate you letting them know this and see you as behaving professionally. Well done on getting the job, too!