1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Policies, especially Inclusion

Discussion in 'Senior Leadership Team' started by gorgybaby, Jan 15, 2008.

1. A very kind person on here sent me their Inclusion Policy which I adapted for our school and presented at Govs Welfare. It was criticised for being very heavily SEN orientated. The Gov who felt so strongly about it brought a policy from another local school. I am now working to incorporate the things in this other school's policy into ours. BUT - we already have statements to do with almost everything elsewhere, e.g. G&T, PHSE, Pastoral Care etc.
    How far should I go - I can put it all in, but it seems like so much hoop-jumping, since we have already said it. This Gov is a thoroughly nast piece of work, and I don't want to let myself in for another unpleasant interlude.
    Would be most grateful for your advice.
    many thanks

2. A very kind person on here sent me their Inclusion Policy which I adapted for our school and presented at Govs Welfare. It was criticised for being very heavily SEN orientated. The Gov who felt so strongly about it brought a policy from another local school. I am now working to incorporate the things in this other school's policy into ours. BUT - we already have statements to do with almost everything elsewhere, e.g. G&T, PHSE, Pastoral Care etc.
    How far should I go - I can put it all in, but it seems like so much hoop-jumping, since we have already said it. This Gov is a thoroughly nast piece of work, and I don't want to let myself in for another unpleasant interlude.
    Would be most grateful for your advice.
    many thanks

3. nomad

nomad Star commenter

Wasn't my policy, was it?

If so, tell the gov concerned to criticise it to my face!!

You can also do a 'catch-all' paragraph at the end which states something like:

"School policies that are also relevant
    These may include:
    ? Special Educational Needs (SEN) policy,
    ? Behaviour Policy including exclusion and truancy procedures,
    ? Anti-Bullying Policy,
    ? Admission including information on part time/shared placement,
    ? Attendance Policy,
    ? Equal Opportunities Policy/Ethnic Minorities,
    ? Gifted and Talented Policy,
    ? School Access Plan,
    ? Risk Management Guidelines,
    ? Physical Restraint Policy,
    ? School Development Plan,
    ? Local Authority Inclusion Policies."

4. This is ours, we are only a junior school, hence only mentioed key stage 2. I think we=ith the DDA paperwork schools now have to have that covers alot of the 'other' stuff!

*****************Junior School is committed to providing an inclusive community and meeting the needs of all its pupils and ensuring that they have access to the broad and balanced curriculum to which they are entitled.
    The National Curriculum is the starting point for planning a school curriculum that meets the specific needs of individuals and groups of pupils.
    This statutory inclusion statement on providing effective learning opportunities for all pupils outlines how teachers can modify, as necessary, the National Curriculum programmes of study to provide all pupils with relevant and appropriately challenging work at key stage 2. It sets out three principles that are essential to developing a more inclusive curriculum.
    a. Setting suitable learning challenges
    b. Responding to pupils? diverse learning needs
    c. Overcoming potential barriers to learning and assessment for individuals and groups of pupils.
    ? Applying these principles should keep to a minimum the need for aspects of the National Curriculum to be disapplied for a pupil.
    ? The SEN and More Able pupil Policy sets out how the school intends to assess and address individual needs.
    ? The school development plan will be mindful of the need to ensure access to all areas of the curriculum for all.
    The school will strive to provide other curricular opportunities outside the National Curriculum to meet the needs of individuals or groups of pupils such as speech and language therapy and mobility training.

5. He's a nasty piece of work, a real swine and thick as anything but thinks he knows it all. Nomad, my policy did indeed look remarkably similar to yours, funny that, eh? (and thanks again!!) It wasn't what was in it but what he felt it didn't refer to. I will go back as you said and make sure that everything required is cross-referenced so that I am not in that position again. He's a nasty ****** and I hate him.
    Thanks both for your advice.
    X

6. Hi, Could I grab your policies especially inclusion?

7. anon2799

anon2799 New commenter

In your position I would suggest that this governor either amends the policy themselves and brings their draft to the next meeting for discussion or sets up a working party of fellow governors who will do the job with him.
    Usually shuts em up.

8. Middlemarch

Middlemarch Star commenter

Absolutely. There's no rule that all policies are supposed to be written by the head - so if the head writes one and any governor says it's ****, that governor should be asked to write their suggested 'better' version.

9. Gosh, this is a blast from the past!! There have been several more instances of the person being incredibly rude to me since, nothing to do with policies. A while ago he was so obnoxious in front of a HT from another school that the CoG insisted he write me an apology.
    I would be more ready now, a few years on!

10. Middlemarch

Middlemarch Star commenter

Amogst insulting and offensive comments levelled by governors at me or heads I know, my favourite was probably the governor who said in full governors - in relation to my performance management - 'Meeting your targets doesn't mean you get a pay increment, it means you get to keep your job.'
    I complained to the chair about this character being one of my PM governors, but as they were best mates, he didn't do a thing.

11. A.rse. Thick, offensive a.rse.
    Not you, obviously. Was that obvious??