1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

police simple caution

Discussion in 'Trainee and student teachers' started by jkgyasi, Mar 3, 2012.

1. I completed PGCE Second science last year June and was looking for job when I made a very bad decision that I will forever regret in my life by leaving my 2 kids who were sleeping to go to our local filling station to get food and fuel as I was very hungry.my wife returned from work in the process and could not get access to the house. she panic as she did know what has happen to me and the children. she did not have phone and saw Police patrol car opposite our house and asked them to open the door for her. the police open door and found my 2 kids sound asleep. I was given a caution for neglecting my kids even though I still look after them in every way. to me my career in teaching is finish as I don't think any school will employ me. I do not have any previous history with police. HELP am desperate to find a job to enable me to look after my family financially.

2. welshwizard

welshwizard Established commenter Forum guide

As with all cautions or convictions you declare them on the application form. It is up to the people selecting to determine whether this prevents them from interviewing you. lt does depend upon local demand for your subject and your other teaching qualities so the quality of your application is paramount. I am aware of a number of teachers with a lot worst who are still teaching.

3. minnieminx

minnieminx New commenter

You won't like this answer, but your caution being recent and the reason given are likely to cause you all kinds of problems.

You may say it was a moment of madness, but a HT would be taking a huge risk to employ someone who might have another 'moment of madness' and neglect the children in their care.

4. You will have this on your CRB and you will need to declare this up front. It does not mean that your career is over, but any Heads insist on a clean CRB not accepting even minor offences/cautions at all.
    I would contact your union and ask for their help and advice on how you can present your case in the best way to increase your job chyances. It may well be that with time the caution will be less of a blot, but anything that involves a police caution involving children is clearly bad news for a teacher. Seek help from youir union.
    The Sage

5. You misunderstand my reference to time, yes of course the caution will always be on the CRB and for teaching (and some other professions involving children and vulnerable people) no conviction or caution is ever considered as spent, but when there is a new, fresh caution then heads will look at this and be very wary and many will simply reject the applicant or revoke a job offer if the person did not disclose prior to interview, but if the caution is 5 or 10 years old and nothing else shows and the person has disclosed this with a full explanation they may be more inclined to accept that this was a huge mistake and be more 'forgiving'. That is what I mean by time, not that the caution will 'disappear'.
    The Sage

6. The rights and wrongs of your actions aside... By accepting the Caution in the first place, you acknowledged having committed a crime for which the alternative was to be prosecuted. Was that fact, as well as the permanence of the Caution, and its impact on your future career and travel prospects, explained to you at the time in a manner you fully understood? The Police frequently fail to explain the seriousness of Cautions, preferring to tell people in custody that it's "just a piece of paper" that will get them out of the station quickly. If this is what happened in your case, you have grounds to appeal to the Chief Constable of whichever police force arrested you. You need to do that in writing, explaining carefully why you think the Caution was wrong, and why you think it should be removed. The CC can order the Caution removed if he is convinced by your arguments.