1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Police presence: a good or bad thing?

Discussion in 'Personal' started by helenemdee, Jan 25, 2019.

1. helenemdee

helenemdee Occasional commenter

I've recently moved to a large estate that consists of mixed social housing and privately owned housing. (I rent mine through private landlord.) All of it has been social housing at some point in the past. Someone I was talking to the other day termed it a 'sink' estate.

I keep seeing police cars driving around or parked on local streets. Is this police presence a positive or negative? Good because it means they're doing their job and keeping an eye on things? Bad because it maybe means that too much stuff is happening that shouldn't be? I don't know how to take it.

What are your opinions? Thanks.

2. Aquamarina1234

Aquamarina1234 Star commenter

Depends which side of the law you're acting on.

3. Aquamarina1234

Aquamarina1234 Star commenter

And good luck (and comprehensive insurance) if you're on the one your neighbours aren't.

needabreak likes this.
  4. Vince_Ulam

Vince_Ulam Star commenter

If either then the other.

5. nizebaby

nizebaby Star commenter

Can you explain please, vince?

6. needabreak

needabreak Star commenter

Does it matter what anyone here thinks, it's you let being there?

7. helenemdee

helenemdee Occasional commenter

I just wondered how others would view the situation. How would you feel if the police were round your street every other day for reasons unknown?

8. needabreak

needabreak Star commenter

Lived in a place like that for decades, you stop noticing the sirens after a while and generally listen to the police to get back out of the line of fire when instructed, you survive and thank your lucky stars you have most of the time... The rest of the time you simply keep your nose clean and very much out of other people's business... Well that's how it was for years in them there parts.

9. dunnocks

dunnocks Star commenter

I live on a similar estate.

Moving is a traumatic experience, and people often underestimate the emotional impact.

traumatic experiences can leave you feeling anxious and pessimistic.

I suspect that is what you are feeling, and it is likely to stem from the process of moving, rather than the place you have moved to.

There is crime here, but it very rarely affects people just going about their normal day to day business. I have been here 20 years, and been a victim once. I have called the police around half a dozen times in 20 years, because of drug dealers sometimes, they normally are discrete and unidentifiable, but just occasionally something kicks off, and I report it, because I've seen something through a window, not because it actually impacts me.

Skip dippers are more of a problem, gangs of middle aged men on push bikes appearing in the middle of the night with torches, going through the communal bins looks for "deets" - bank details and such. I've called the police to them once or twice.

The local children are noisy, but just playing. I have had the odd row about damage caused by footballs.

In short, in spite of my reservations when I moved in, I have lived here happily and raised two children here. My children played outside with neighbours children quite happily until teenage years, when some of the neighbours children started to spend more time on underage drinking and shoplifting than hide and seek! At that point it became my mission to enable my children's social life and hobbies away from such behaviour. Which I did, even while teaching full time, and without a car.

I am still happy here, and feel as safe as anywhere really. I think the richer looking detatched houses in streets further up the hill are far more of a target for burglary, I deliberately allow my home to look shabby and poor from the outside. But one of my neighbours once said to me "Don't worry, I've brought my kids up right - never rob from your own estate!!

I hope that reassures you somewhat!

colpee likes this.
  10. Ivartheboneless

Ivartheboneless Star commenter

The amount you pay for your contents insurance may reflect the degree of criminal activity in the area. Although I think the police publish figures about crime rates in given areas. That might depend on how specific they are to particular areas. Personally, I'd think about moving, but that depends on many factors.

11. les25paul

les25paul Star commenter

I think that Police presence where ever you live can only be a good thing. They are there to catch crooks and better still deter crime in the first place. With the reduction in Police numbers these days its a major plus point.

Better still would to be get the cops out of their cars and on the beat talking to locals.

12. Jolly_Roger15

Jolly_Roger15 Star commenter

@helenemdee: If you have only just moved in, the police presence might be a response to something recent, and not habitual. If the police does patrol regularly, it can only be a good thing. The only time we have seen police cars around here, in the last thirty-eight years, is when someone has died.

@dunnocks: I had not heard of 'skip dippers' before. In Hillingdon, we do do not have wheely bins, so we have to put out black sacks. On bin day, we sometimes see that most of the sacks along the street have been torn open and the contents dumped on the pavement. It looked too systematic to be animals, so perhaps this is the cause.

13. florian gassmann

florian gassmann Star commenter

Much the same here. We did once see a PCSO, but I think he was lost.