1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Police investigating whether biological facts are illegal

Discussion in 'Personal' started by Vince_Ulam, Aug 24, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Vince_Ulam

Vince_Ulam Star commenter

This has implications for the teaching of Biology:

Sticker protest on Antony Gormley's beach statues accused of 'trans hatred'

[​IMG]

'Protesters have been accused of “trans hatred” after pasting phallus-shaped stickers on the genitalia of Antony Gormley’s statues on Crosby beach, saying “women don’t have penises”.

[...]

Merseyside police said they were aware of the stickers and were making inquiries to see if a crime had been committed.

The stickers were condemned by a coalition of women’s groups including Big Love Sista, the Homeless Period Project, Grrrl Power Liverpool and the Liverpool Queer Collective. In an open statement addressed to “our trans siblings”, the groups said: “In our city there’s no room for hate against trans people. We condemn the behaviour, hate and transphobia of ‘Liverpool Re-sisters.’ We condemn their appalling stickers and we absolutely will not tolerate transphobia in our city.”

[...]

[Liverpool ReSisters] declined to talk to the Guardian, pointing instead to its press release, which said: “Women don’t have penises. This is not hate speech, it is not transphobia, it is a simple statement of biological fact …

“Our stickers are aimed at raising awareness of the potential threat to sex-based rights and women’s rights from the proposed changes
    [to the Gender Recognition Act 2004]. Women and girls need spaces of their own for a variety of reasons, but principally because we continue to face male violence and harassment in public and in private spaces.”'
    TheGuardian.com, 20th August 2018.

[This comment/section/image has been removed for breaching our Community Guidelines/Terms and conditions]

2. mothorchid

mothorchid Star commenter

Oh Dear...
    As I understand his work, Anthony Gormley uses his own body to cast statues. I would assume he is genitally equipped as are most men. These women seem to have missed the point. The fact that men and women are different biologically is not "Hate against trans people".
    All this trans-friendly stuff is getting a bit tired now, I feel. The points have been made. A number of times. Shall we move on?

3. nomad

nomad Star commenter

Ooh. Dunno if I can agree with that.

In Latin, penis is a third declension noun ending in -is. Its nominative plural is penes.

Last edited: Aug 24, 2018
    Vince_Ulam likes this.
  4. Vince_Ulam

Vince_Ulam Star commenter

Even the Ls in the LGBTQ+ 'community' are tired of it.

When the proposed changes to the GRA are defeated.

5. sbkrobson

sbkrobson Star commenter

Given that you can write messages in beach sand large enough to be viewed even by distant planeloads of transattitudinal punters, that ranks for me as the best example ever of "missed a trick".

nomad likes this.
  6. TES_Rosaline

TES_Rosaline Administrator Staff Member

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.