1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Police force ditches traditional bobbies' helmets

Discussion in 'Personal' started by delmamerchant, May 11, 2017.

1. delmamerchant

delmamerchant Established commenter

Police force ditches traditional bobbies' helmets for US-style baseball caps to encourage the 'non-binary transgender community' to join up.

Have I heard it all now?

I think their time would be better spent fighting crime in a fair way i.e. Not pulling innocent people over from certain cultures because they have a decent car.

2. Didactylos4

Didactylos4 Star commenter

A spokesman for the force said: 'Not only will the new bump caps offer a better level of protection, the new headgear means that no longer will male and female officers be issued different headgear with varying safety ratings simply on the basis of gender."

I think that sounds eminently sensible

3. Flere-Imsaho

Flere-Imsaho Star commenter

Those "traditional" hats are ridiculous.

4. sparklepig2002

sparklepig2002 Star commenter

Base ball caps afford no protection to the head-hard hats do.Change the design by all means-but they need to be fit for purpose.

Laphroig likes this.
  5. oldsomeman

oldsomeman Star commenter

Just another attempt to meet the needs of gender bending formalities.What the hell is none binary transgenger community.didnt realise there was whole community.
    if police worried as much about stopping criminal i would be more interested .and since when does a baseball cap stop a brick falling on a head?

6. Flere-Imsaho

Flere-Imsaho Star commenter

They aren't just baseball caps. They've got reinforced protective bits inside.

Didactylos4 likes this.
  7. Didactylos4

When it has, as these do, inbuilt safety protection.
    They are used in many industries now

8. Didactylos4

I'm slow again :D

9. Mangleworzle

Mangleworzle Star commenter

Pardon? speak up there please.

Didactylos4 likes this.
  10. needabreak

needabreak Star commenter

This will be like Boris buses won't it :(

11. oldsomeman

oldsomeman Star commenter

Is the peek of the cap reinforced,,,,wonder if you can stand on then like the old bobby helmet?

12. needabreak

To be fair many officers already wear the peaked cap and and gone are the suit trousers often in favour of some sort of cargo pant design to go along with the stab vests and tasers but that would depend where they are on duty.

13. Didactylos4

On some it is but standing on the helmet isn't part of the standard testing regime (which is best described here)
    Most exceed the requirements of EN812

I am reliably informed that they cannot be used as emergency loos for women :D

14. Didactylos4

The police force in question, like the one here where I live, have/had 6 different hats (across the genders) to be worn on various normal duties. Only one male (the trad helmet) and one female hat provides any head protection at all.
    They, like many forces, had different head gear for PCSOs and these were also gender differentiated

15. needabreak

Thinking about it I am not sure I care what they wear as long as they can still afford Bobbies on the beat so to speak after the rebrand... which brings me to another problem, how can they afford to replace things like this when we really need more officers? I'd say they have their priorities mixed up.

Laphroig likes this.