1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Police doing a good job

Discussion in 'Personal' started by May2, Dec 11, 2011.

1. May2

May2 Occasional commenter

My daughter in her twenties had her phone pick pocketed from her bag while wearing it over her shoulder, when out in a club on Friday night. Apparently 6 other people had their phones stolen but my daughter was unaware until much later. The theif was caught and we received a telephone call from the police at 9.00 on Saturday morning. They had gone through her contacts and called 'Dad'. They asked us if she was in to return the phone. We said we didn't know as she lives 300 miles away. They asked us her address and they returned the phone within half an hour.
    Apparently the thief had it hidden in her bra when she was stopped and was known to the police.
    My daughter would not have been happy to have to buy a new phone for a couple of hundred pounds at this time of year so with the outcome she was very lucky and well done to the Police.

2. May2

My daughter in her twenties had her phone pick pocketed from her bag while wearing it over her shoulder, when out in a club on Friday night. Apparently 6 other people had their phones stolen but my daughter was unaware until much later. The theif was caught and we received a telephone call from the police at 9.00 on Saturday morning. They had gone through her contacts and called 'Dad'. They asked us if she was in to return the phone. We said we didn't know as she lives 300 miles away. They asked us her address and they returned the phone within half an hour.
    Apparently the thief had it hidden in her bra when she was stopped and was known to the police.
    My daughter would not have been happy to have to buy a new phone for a couple of hundred pounds at this time of year so with the outcome she was very lucky and well done to the Police.

3. doomzebra

doomzebra Occasional commenter

Please tell me you checked that the caller was genuinely the police

4. May2

Well that was my first reaction after my husband had spoken to them. He just said he could tell by the way they spoke! Not really so good is it. I suppose he should have phoned the police station to check they were genuine. Oh dear at least we got the right outcome here.
    On a similar vein he should have thought as a few years ago my parents who were in their eighties were burgled by 2 men purporting to be policemen. They climbed up the back of the house and entered through a bedroom window. One of the men walked into the lounge while they were watching television and told them they had had a report of a burglary and when my mother asked how they got in they said the burglars had left the front door open. Meanwhile he said his colleague was checking upstairs but instead was filling his bag with all my mothers jewellery. They left with my parents shaking their hands and thanking them!. They took all my mother's jewellery including her engagement ring just a year before she died.
    We just had to be thankful that they were not harmed and Mum was quite philosophical and said 'it is a pity other burglars aren't so polite! '
    Unfortunately the real police didn't do such a good job that time as none of the goods were found and as far as we know they were not caught. They just advised putting bars on the bedroon window.