1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Police Caution

Discussion in 'Governors' started by hal_ber2000, Feb 27, 2007.

1. cbl

cbl

Life happens. And sometimes we all make mistakes. If we are lucky a spotlight does not get shone on our mistakes but in some professions it does, and I think for good reason. However, the further distance what is basically a youthful mistake (with no severe consequences) gets the easier it will be to be menitioned and passed over. I appreciate how worried you are (anyone would be in a similar situation) but interviewers don't dismiss applications out of hand and without considering eveything. You did something dumb but hopefully the consequences will be less than you dread.

2. Remember that accepting a caution is accepting guilt. If it was self defence and you can prove it consult a solicitor.

3. Hi cbl, yes I did get a form with no mention of past convictions. When I went to the interview I mentioned it but the only opportunity to do this was to the entire panel. The head immediately said you do not need to tell us all (but I had been left with no choice as I could not not mention it to them either). The head then told the panel to discount what they had heard and to tell no one, he then told us he too had a conviction from when he was a young man!
    Today I filled out an application which has no = opportunities monitoring form and I am disabled, not the 1st case of this I've come across either.

4. I have sat on many recruitment panels and I think the advice offered by Cbl and others is all good. However, I would add than you should remember that Governors were young once too.

Obviously, any candidate having to declare a conviction is going to attract closer scrutiny than others but I have never sat on a panel that would dismiss an application simply because there was a conviction/caution declared - particularly for something so minor. I suspect that a great many of us were simply lucky enough not to get caught!

5. A friend of mine was cautioned about 10 years ago and it has not appeared on their CRB enhanced disclosure. So you might be lucky. Although with the improvements in technology and controversy over cases such as Ian Huntley they're probably far more likely to maintain details on your records these days.

6. DibbleD - my sentiments too. Bad luck that the OP was caught; however his behaviour does not mean he is a danger to any child or member of the public!

7. I would suggest putting the information in a sealed envelope with the application form, addressing the envelope to the Chair of the Shortlisting panel. You don't want all and sundry knowing, even if only to save your blushes! "soft" information is now recorded on CRBs, and solicitors/ police often give people the advice given to the OP- which is poor advice- to avoid lengthy paperwork, IMHO.

8. cbl - can I ask why you wouldn't even interview the OP? You could well find you were missing out on the best candidate.

9. cbl

cbl

A recent teaching post vacancy of ours attracted some 40 applicants - consider how hard it is to shortlist from that number already.

10. Am an ex primary Head and would have admired you if you were upfront (bad choice of words there!!) about this (and to be honest would have found it hilarious). It will really depend on the individual Heads and govs...but as you get older and this event becomes more distant and you've had (hopefully lots of good) teaching experience it will become less and less of an issue.

Don't let it ruin your career, I know many Heads who would think the same way as me.

11. hI! I have seen your post, and i was wondering if you could help me. I got a police caution for shoplifiting, a really stupid mistake as i did not have any intention of stealing anything..it was just a forgetful mistake..anyway i got this caution, and now i am applying for being a teacher, i am not scared of being honest and declared it but do you think it will be a no.no from the school? how serious is a shoplifiting cation? Many thanks

12. harsh-but-fair

harsh-but-fair Lead commenter

you cannot get a caution, you have to accept one - ie. make an admission of guilt
    as to it's effect on you becoming a teacher - it shouldn't preclude you from training or working with children, but it may have an effect on your employability

welcome to TES, zoropopo

13. bbibbler

bbibbler New commenter

I have had recent experience with Police Cautions, after a party got out of hand, my daughter and about 20 others ended up at the local police station.

They all had to return after 2 weeks, 18 accepted cautions, my daughter and 1 friend refused (on my advice). There were various theats made including 3 years in prison if found guilty. They stuck to thier guns. After 3 hours they were allowed to leave and told that they would be hearing from the police very soon.

They were then visted by police at their individual places of work, my daughter's friend then accepted a caution. my daughter still refused, (luckily she works for the family).

My daughter has just had a letter warning her about her future behaviour and telling her that there will be no futher action.

Result, 19 mainly innocent people have a stain on their record, the stats show 19 crimes with 100% clear-up.

The original idea of cautions was to unclog the court system, it is now being used on many people who would never had ended up in court, but it makes the clear-up rate look good.

14. reg1950

reg1950 New commenter

If you have accepted a caution you have admitted committing a crime. You are a criminal. No criminal should be allowed to be a teacher. Zero tolerance. End of. (And please don't bother to posts responses telling me that DCSF guidance says criminals have rights and should be allowed to teach in our schools. I know it does. It shouldn't do.)

15. In reply to the OP the following extract makes the situation clear:
    34. A simple caution is not a form of sentence (which only a court can impose), nor is it a criminal conviction. It is, however, an admission of guilt and forms part of an offender's criminal record. It may influence how they are dealt with, should they come to the notice of the police again and may also be cited in court in any subsequent proceedings.
    35. A simple caution will appear on a subject access request made by the offender under the Data Protection Act 1998. It may also be disclosed for employment vetting purposes, licensing purposes or to inform judicial appointments.
    <h4>Sexual Offences Act</h4>36. It is particularly important to explain the consequences of accepting a simple caution where the offence is listed in Schedule 3 to the Sexual Offences Act 2003 before the caution is administered. Accepting a simple caution in relation to such an offence will result in the offender becoming a "relevant offender" for the purposes of the notification and registration requirements of Part 2 of the Act. This means that the offender will be put on the 'sex offenders register' for 2 years from the date of the caution.
    <h4>Notifiable occupations</h4>37. Notifiable occupations are currently set out in Annex A of Home Office Circular 6/2006 (new window). Where a simple caution is issued to someone employed in a notifiable occupation, this should be disclosed by the police to their employer in accordance with the guidelines set out in that circular. A list of notifiable occupations must be made available in the station.
    <h4>List 99</h4>38. The Department for Children, Schools and Families maintains a list of individuals who are unsuitable to work with children, and are therefore barred from doing so. Rules which came into force on 28th February 2007[9] (new window) make provision for any adult who is convicted of, or cautioned for, an offence which is specified in the regulations, to be included on List 99. By accepting such a caution an individual will be disqualified from working with children in a regulated position (as defined by the Criminal Justice and Court Services Act 2000), and will commit an offence if they undertake or seek to undertake such work.
    <h4>Independent Safeguarding Authority</h4>39. A simple caution may also be taken into account by the Independent Safeguarding Authority in reaching decisions about the suitability of persons to work with children or vulnerable adults, once the new Authority commences its work under the Safeguarding Vulnerable Groups Act 2008.
    http://www.homeoffice.gov.uk/about-us/publications/home-office-circulars/circulars-2008/016-2008/index.html