1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Pole fitness and teacher training?

Discussion in 'Trainee and student teachers' started by geembee1994, Dec 30, 2019.

1. geembee1994

geembee1994 New commenter

Hi all,
    I've suffered with poor mental health for a while and have been thinking about doing pole fitness to boost confidence etc however I'm worried about it causing trouble with my teacher training? Not so much in terms of workload, but worried about my conduct being called into question? Anyone have experience, or any advice?

2. celago22

celago22 Established commenter

You're right to be worried about personal conduct outside the workplace.

I would say that pole dancing should be fine if restricted to fitness, it's more acrobatics and dance. If you were to do it in nightclubs in your local area where the dads/uncles etc might go then it would not be appropriate. It would take just 1 person to photograph you for your conduct to be brought into question.

You could consider pilates, yoga, zumba instead.

MissGeorgi likes this.
  3. geembee1994

geembee1994 New commenter

I’m only interested in classes for fitness, but I’ll take your advice about the pictures/public dancing because I know a lot of classes do a showcase for family/friends! Thank you :)

4. spacegirl99

spacegirl99 New commenter

I've been thinking about this too! I went once a few years ago and was nowhere near fit enough. Now I'm trying to get my fitness up but I'm also worried because of being in a school. I find it so bizarre that if you work in a school, you have so many restrictions on what you can and can't do - my university told us not to even consider going on nights out in our city or doing karaoke even if sober, because it would "get back to" parents, prospective employers etc... It's ridiculous. I also just had a placement induction where part of the "Internet safety" was being advised to hide membership of any clubs where "defamatory language or culture" is considered commonplace (Rugby was given as an example). I don't really have an answer for you, sorry, I've kind of just gone off on one there! I think if one is being sensible and fair with things then pole fitness should be fine, but I'm not sure that all people would be sensible and fair and might criticise you for it.

agathamorse likes this.