1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Pole dancing

Discussion in 'Health and wellbeing' started by Miss2012, Jan 31, 2012.

1. Sister in law has asked me if I would like to do a beginners course locally.
    Mmmm am 5ft 2 and 13stone. Not sure its me but am tempted.....[​IMG]

Any one out there done pole dance classes ?

2. I wouldn't do pole dancing. It really is for gymnasts and people with a lot of upper body strength. I find it frightening that people with no gymnastic experience want to twizzle about on a pole, upside down sometimes. There are other less dangerous ways of getting fit. How about salsa?

3. PlymouthMaid

PlymouthMaid Occasional commenter

I have the same 'dimensions' as you and there is no way I would be attempting pole dancing.

4. giraffe

giraffe New commenter

Larger people like us are usually advised to seek out exercise that increases the heartrate and puts some load on the skeleton to strengthen bones.
    Brisk walks and eventually jogs, in the fresh air are supposed to be ideal.
    I wouldn't do pole dancing because of its tacky associations.
    btw they have pole dancing classes for children in my town - yuk!

5. Anonymous

Anonymous New commenter

Someone in our town is now quadraplegic after falling back and breaking her neck doing pole dancing. A freak accident and of course it could happen doing many things - but her life has changed dramatically. She has a 6 year old son who she can't hug and can only communicate by tapping words out. Heartbreaking.

6. Gone off it. Might take up skipping.
    [​IMG]

7. lardylady

lardylady Star commenter

Ballet is supposed to be good too.
    [​IMG]

8. Ido pole dancing as a hobby (I'm 5ft 1) it's really good fun and good exercise and a responsible teacher wouldn't make you go upside down or do anything without someone to support you (as in right next to you) or if you weren't completely comfortable with what you were doing

I say go for it!

9. I better check the class description !!!

[​IMG]