1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Polar bear class

Discussion in 'Primary' started by ellie28, Sep 7, 2011.

1. Hi my new Year 2 class are called the Polar Bears.
    Any ideas of activities I could do based around polar bears eg art/craft, display ideas. Carousel of activities. Got a book I'm going to read with lots of info about polar bears but can't think of independent activities. Any ideas?

2. pancake99

pancake99 New commenter

Habitats - melting ice - science experiment, melt some in different areas, take photos througout the day???

3. Grandsire

Grandsire Senior commenter

This thread grabbed my attention - I wonder why?!
    Science on thermal insulation (all that fur!) - investigate keeping water warm by wrapping it in different materials and putting it in the fridge.

4. Dont read them the article from the paper in the holidays about the polar bear killing the kid on expedition in Svalbard

5. minnieminx

minnieminx New commenter

The thought made me chuckle though!!!

6. hammie

hammie Lead commenter

saw a good science activity while on supply
    to do with insulation
    you need cold water, ice cubes, vaseline or similar, cotton wool, feather things, furry things.
    pupils cover hand (or just a finger) with a "rubber glove" or cling film.
    Dip covered hand in cold water, note how it feels.
    cover with grease, repeat dip and comments.
    cover with grease and (feathers, or fur, or cotton wool,.......) dip and comment.
    very simple, very messy and very popular!

7. Just as a thought,at christmas, I adopted a polar bear for my class as a present (£3per month from wwf). We received a stuffed toy as a mascot, loads of info and regular newsletters. It's definitely worth looking into!

8. nick909

nick909 Star commenter

Have a good think about what you want to teach them about polar bears first. Your learning objectives. The National Curriculum should be your first port of call. When you've decided what the children need to learn, then find activities to match. You should really be matching activities to learning objectives, rather than just looking for anything to do with polar bears.