1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Discussion in 'Welcome lounge and forum help' started by HistoryEducator, Feb 3, 2020.

1. HistoryEducator

HistoryEducator Occasional commenter

What do the points you have refer to please?

2. Rott Weiler

Rott Weiler Star commenter Forum guide

What do points make? Prizes!

3. HistoryEducator

4. Rott Weiler

Rott Weiler Star commenter Forum guide

Oh, if only @HistoryEducator

Sadly now Bruce Forsyth has left us Points no longer make Prizes.

Points are, well, rather pointless. (Are you impressed with my references to TV quiz shows? :) ).

How they are calculated is explained on an obscure page of this site here, although on that page they are called 'Trophies'. At some point when TES were rolling out this version of the forum they changed the name from Trophies to Points but not on the page that explains how they are calculated! But Trophies = Points. And as you can see the number of Points you have is calculated from the number of Messages you have posted and the number of Likes you have received (still with me?).

https://community.tes.com/help/trophies

The number of Trophies/Points on that list is cumulative and adds to 98, which is the maximum anyone can 'earn'. You get to that once you have made more than 3,000 posts and received more than 1,000 Likes. However many posts/likes you get after that you Trophies/Points can never exceed 98.

And having got to 98 Points what do you get for it? Nothing! No extra posting privileges, no TES mugs, nothing at all.

Why would you need a Trophy/Points system in addition to having a hierarchy of posters (New Commenter >>> Star Commenter) that's based on Messages posted + Likes? No idea, and no-one I ever asked in TES seemed to know either! I suspect it's because the Trophy/Points system comes built into the Forum platform software and TES then added their New Commenter >>> Star Commenter hierarchy over the top of it. Just my guess.

The burning question on your lips at this point will be 'Yes but how do Points relate to my Commenter status?'

You'd think the page I linked earlier would explain it but it only does it partially, if you try and work out the full algorithm there isn't enough information there. But after some discussion with the now departed TES_Rosaline I managed to crack the code and it's explained on the attachment.

And finally - what, you are asking, are those symbols in front of each Commenter status on my attachment? Well as far as I can find out they were intended to be the symbols for the corresponding Trophies! They used to be on a page on here but after I asked about why they didn't seem to appear anywhere else the page disappeared....

Bet you wished you hadn't asked now ;)

Attached Files:

Sundaytrekker likes this.
  5. HistoryEducator

@Rott Weiler, I thought it would be like a BAFTA or Oscar trophy that I would receive in the post.
    :D
    Thank you for your detailed reply.

Rott Weiler likes this.