1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Pointless Interviews

Discussion in 'Teaching abroad' started by hullstokey, Mar 26, 2019.

1. hullstokey

hullstokey New commenter

Hi anyone had any interviews recently that were not what you were expecting? Not up to standard? Run by someone maybe didn't strike you as really knew what they were doing? Or even there wasn't actually a position available. Dont know what to make of one I had today.

2. theintlteacher

theintlteacher New commenter

Can you elaborate without naming the school directly?

3. february31st

february31st Established commenter

I admit I have done some interviews with no intention of taking the job if offered. Many reasons for this but basically.

1, getting my CV ”right”.
    2, seeing what bites I would get.
    3, interview technique.
    4, checking what schools are doing.

Bentley89 and towncryer like this.
  4. hullstokey

hullstokey New commenter

I mean when the school interviews in an irrational manner. Either clueless or doesn’t want you on the first place.

5. theintlteacher

Can you give a hint which school. Also had a couple of these recently.

6. hullstokey

hullstokey New commenter

My little treasure chest isn’t Fare/fair

7. theintlteacher

And a country?

8. hullstokey

hullstokey New commenter

See above

9. Teachallover

Teachallover Occasional commenter

Oh here we go with the cryptic clues. Either you’re not intelligent enough like me to work it out or you simply don’t have the time. Yes, I’ve sat through plenty of interviews in person and Skype where they’ve clearly not got a current vacancy, some even admit it - I call this fishing; a vacancy may arise, there may be no-shows in the Autumn term and suddenly they find they need somebody etc. Then there’s schools who are just testing the water. They know who they want but they might just find that candidate who’s even better in their eyes and plump for them instead.

10. gone east

gone east New commenter

Apart from the bad manners, interviewing is time consuming and hard work. Do people really have nothing else to do but waste theirs and others time for positions they don't have? BTW that was rhetorical! However, it is often obvious in the first few minutes that the person isn't right for you and you end up going through the motions a bit.

11. Mainwaring

Mainwaring Lead commenter

How do/would you feel when/ if a school wastes your time in the same way?

12. february31st

I have no issues doing this what so ever. If I had 4 Skype interviews I never heard back from 2 of them, 1 emailed me back to say I had not been successful and the fourth made such a low financial offer no one would expect.

The 2 interviews I had in Dubai face to face, I did inform the schools that this was a speculative application. One of the schools did give me the hard sell and the only reason I turned down their good offer was there was no guarantee my children would be offered a place as the school was full in the classes my children would need.

With international schools

Fac ut fieri!

towncryer likes this.
  13. SecondPlace

SecondPlace Occasional commenter

I worked with a Principal who had the equivalent of a 'safe word' for interviews, when interviewing alongside others. If he used this word then the interview was very quickly wrapped up!

14. amysdad

amysdad Established commenter

Only once. I can't give too much away because the story is known and it would identify me, but I got the feeling from the outset that I wasn't wanted, and when the interviewer actually made a comment which I found offensive, the feeling was then mutual! Came off Skype (which kept breaking down anyway, which didn't help) and phoned my recruitment agent to give some pretty blistering feedback......

Bentley89 likes this.
  15. treefrog101

treefrog101 New commenter

I had an interview in the UK once where the head teacher was having a conversation with someone else and checking his emails while I was answering questions I wasn't impressed!

Bentley89, Teachallover and taiyah like this.
  16. Mainwaring

I didn't ask how you justified your own behaviour. I asked how you would feel if a school did the same to you.

17. february31st

Its been done some many times to me I have become desensitized to the pain and humiliation,it is what we have come to expect!

18. doteachershavesuperpowers

doteachershavesuperpowers Occasional commenter

When I was interviewed by a certain Qatari school, the interviewer in question did keep dropping hints that I would get the job which I thought was a little strange.

19. Mainwaring

The same thing happened to me in my deputy headship interview in the UK. The other candidates in the plenary session understandably looked daggers at me throughout. It wasn't so much strange as inept on the part of the interviewer, Fred, who became my boss for the next four years. Another of Fred's oddities was his paranoia about social interaction with colleagues, so much so that any such contact, like delivering a bunch of roses and a congratulations card, had to be done by stealth. The morning after Mrs M came out of hospital, having given birth to our second son, I phoned her from school and a familiar male voice answered. 'Fred,' I asked, 'what the hell are you doing in my bedroom?'

Bentley89 likes this.
  20. markedout

markedout Occasional commenter

I had a 45 minute skype interview in which I was able to speak for no more than ten minutes. They did offer me the job, and I took it because I was moving out to join my husband anyway. Subsequently, the other person sitting in on the interview admitted that the Vice Principal had lied to me. Thankfully I am not working there any longer.