1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Pointers for International job applications

Discussion in 'Teaching abroad' started by Geekyone, May 9, 2018.

1. Geekyone

Geekyone New commenter

Does anyone have any tips on writing CV and Personal statements for teaching jobs abroad, esp Malaysia/Singapore and the Middle East?. I have seen some ads where they ask for picture too, is this standard practice? Is there a criteria for these pictures?

2. ejclibrarian

ejclibrarian Established commenter Community helper

The picture is standard for international applications. Usually a passport style photo is what they are looking for. I've heard of some people submitting holiday snaps which seems weird and unprofessional to me. I'm sure one of the posters on here was the one who mentioned this before.

The personal statement is a good place to talk about your experience and expertise, why you want to work at the school, what you would bring to the role you're applying for, how you can contribute to the wider school community. Things like that. For my CV I have my work experience first, then education, professional memberships, and PD courses I've undertaken. At the top I put my full name, date of birth, nationality, home address, email, skype name, and phone number.

This is just how I do it. Others may do it differently.

3. amysdad

amysdad Established commenter

As well as ejc's good advice, try to keep your CV to no more than two pages. This is difficult if you have pre-teaching employment as I did, but what schools are really interested in is your teaching so this can be minimized - just dates and places, with a "full details available on request" if they want to ask you about it (they probably won't!)

Also, follow the school's instructions on how to apply. Some just want a CV, some want CV and a letter, some want you to use their own application portals, etc.

ejclibrarian likes this.
  4. Fer888

Fer888 Occasional commenter

Mine is very similar to ejclibrarian. When writing your work experience put the very latest one first and then go backwards- have seen a couple recently the other way round and it is a pain. Be prepared to explain any gaps.

viba and ejclibrarian like this.