1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Poinsettas..........love them or?

Discussion in 'Personal' started by BelleDuJour, Nov 27, 2011.

1. BelleDuJour

BelleDuJour Star commenter

HATE THEM! [​IMG]
    I can't stand them but fortunately I'm very good at killing them off.
    I can tolerate the white ones but the red ones are the work of the devil's gardener.

2. v12

v12

Harsh words!

3. Anonymous

Anonymous New commenter

nutella adores them...she'll be upset at this thread!

4. Is anyone capable of keeping them alive? airy??

5. slippeddisc

slippeddisc New commenter

Hate them. I just can't keep them alive. I once left one in my classroom for a weekend...perfectly healthy on Friday, completely dead on Monday morning. Got one once from a child for xmas and he wrapped it up bless him. I didn't know what it was so I opened it on xmas morning (a week after getting it) and it was a complete gonner!

6. BelleDuJour

Result! [​IMG]

7. BelleDuJour

Then I shall send her any I am given...........................if I don't kill them first!

8. Yes, me! I've got one that I gave my Grandma two Christmasses ago that is still going strong. I see to have got the knack of getting a few red leaves on it by confusing it with light/dark.
    I only got it because my Gran had Macular Degeneration and could only see colours and strong shapes - poinsettias were ideal. Now I cling onto that flippin' pot plant as though it's got more meaning than it ought. What a weirdo I am.

9. Anonymous

Anonymous New commenter

She'd be thrilled!

10. grumbleweed

grumbleweed Lead commenter

Love em, especially the red ones. Have one in my house every year, this year Ive even managed to keep last year's alive.

11. Love them! I don't try to keep them alive much past January, I just regard them in the same light as a bunch of cut flowers, but they brighten up the house. Poinsettias = Christmas!

12. bombaysapphire

bombaysapphire Star commenter

I love them. Like Cosmos I just get one a year for the Christmas season. I have a special Christmas bowl and pick one up from the supermarket each year. They have always lasted a month or so.
    They make a lovely bright and natural table decoration.

13. inq

inq

Don't like them but they die as soon as I look at them [​IMG]

14. Love them. Remind me of mum.
    I have one every year - brings a smile to my face everytime I look at it.

15. I think theyre beautiful but read somewhere they're poisonous to cats and as I have 3 little bundles of fur that will eat anything im too worried to have one!

16. Love them, they are so Christmassy.
    Can't keep them alive though.

17. I don't really have an opinion on them, but... my wedding dress had poinsetta prints on it! Pale silver and pink ones. Nicer than it sounds...

18. guinnesspuss

guinnesspuss Star commenter

Every year OH says "I suppose you're getting one of those dead plants!"
    Love them ...Christmas = poinsetta

19. TheoGriff

TheoGriff Star commenter

[​IMG]
    Yes, just look back at her thread about them last year . . .
    In the Canaries, where Norwegian Spruce is in short supply, they use them to make Christmas trees.
    Love'em, just love'em!
    [​IMG]
    (And while I've got your attention, just look at this enquiry that I've just had on my JobSeekers' Forum: https://community.tes.co.uk/forums/t/536373.aspx )
    Best wishes - and may your Christmas be full of red-bracted plants.
    I do Application and Interview one-to-ones, and also contribute to the Job Application Seminars. We look at application letters, executive summaries and interviews, with practical exercises that people really appreciate.
    www.tes.co.uk/careerseminars

20. Anonymous

Anonymous New commenter

If we all sent our unwanted poinsettias to nutella she, too, could have a splendid Christmas tree just like that!