1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Poets/Writers in school

Discussion in 'English' started by maggie_em, Jan 14, 2011.

1. Hiya
    Wondered if anyone could give me some names or contact details of any good poets or writers that have come into school to do workshops or talks with the kids? As part of my coordinator role I have to organise something for next half term. Any ideas would be greatly appreciated.

Ta!

2. Best to do a Google search for "Writers in schools", "Authors in schools" and similar terms. These are generally organised centrally. You can expect to pay £250-£300 per day.
    I occasionally do sessions as a day's supply.

3. robertanewiss

robertanewiss New commenter

Roger Stevens came in to our school last year. He worked with year 6 but has enormous range of material. Entertained kids and staff and got some great work from them all!
    http://www.rabbitpress.com/rogerstevens.html

4. robertanewiss

robertanewiss New commenter

Also this site is useful.
    http://www.classactagency.co.uk/poets_profiles

5. Thanks! I will look at these over the weekend and see if I can get anything sorted soon.[​IMG]

6. RaymondSoltysek

RaymondSoltysek New commenter

Before you invite anyone, think about (a) the age of the pupils involved and (b) exactly what you want to achieve. Do you want someone to read? Or to generate writing? Or to talk about the children's work?
    I'm a writer and have done dozens of school visits, and the one or two that have been unsuccessful have been because the teacher didn't know how I worked and hadn't been explicit about what they wanted me to do.
    The Scottish Book Trust has a register of writers available to come to schools, along with details of suggested activities and audiences: I'm sure the Arts Council in England must have some something similar.