1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Poetry

Discussion in 'Primary' started by Chatterbox1607, Sep 12, 2011.

1. Chatterbox1607

Chatterbox1607 New commenter

I want to look at poems over the next three weeks in writing with my class. I have my three subject areas I wish to look at to tie in with our topic. I havent really taught poetry before and have been looking all night at resources on TES but feel I need human communication to help me. I was thinking that my two top groups could look at adjectives and similies and my bottom group could just look at adjectives within poetry. I then thought the next day the children could plan their own poems and then the next day write their poems. How do you teach poetry...what could I do to make this lesson more manageable...what key features should I be pointing out? Where can I get good poems to model to children? I am keen to learn as you can tell and very new to teaching so any help would be very much appreciated.

2. marlin

marlin Star commenter Forum guide

3. lilykitty

lilykitty New commenter

I was always a bit anxious about teaching poetry in my first years, but now I love it. I always begin with a couple of sessions of immersion, giving the children lots of examples of that type of poem to read in groups. I find that this gets them engaged and talking to each other about what they like / don't like, which you can then develop later. Learning poems by heart is also really important because it helps the children to internalise the rhythms and language. I wouldn't introduce the technical features too much at the beginning; I would focus more on reading for enjoyment and sparking that excitement of playing with words.
    What type of poems are you focusing on?

4. Chatterbox1607

Chatterbox1607 New commenter

Well from the previous poster I clicked on the above link and printed the poem a poem to say silently and with this I got the children to underline all the adjectives and wow words...then I asked them to make new wow words using a thesaurus...does that sound a good task...then tomorrow I am going to get them to make adjectives / wow words to do with something special to them...does this sound okay? I need to find poems for children to read and enjoy...where can i find suitable poems?
    What should I be teaching at year 3 level?

5. Does your school not have a collection of poetry books? For "reading and enjoyment" we have shared books, browsed through them,shared and read to the class for poems liked. I'd want to emphasise poems are a form of communication. There is a danger of making them an exercise in "verbal muscle building", ie exercises in adjectives and wow words.

6. JosieWhitehead

JosieWhitehead Lead commenter

Try Googling JOSIE'S POEMS. There are lots and lots of good poems for children of all ages here and if you go to the web index, you'll find lots of articles to help you with teaching poetry. The children will be able to access the poems also at home. I hope this helps.

7. markuss

markuss Occasional commenter

I can see the attraction of a "WOW words" approach but most of the time the "wow" magic of poetic diction comes from what the poets do with really simple vocabulary,

8. RuthTom

RuthTom New commenter

I can recommend 'The Magic Box' by Kit Wright as a lovely poem for that age group - it has some beautiful and exciting imagery to explore. There are probably some lesson plans around for it too.

9. coffeecakes

coffeecakes New commenter