1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Poetry - Year 2

Discussion in 'Primary' started by kamp, Mar 22, 2012.

1. I am a first year trainee teacher and have to teach a whole week of poetry next week to a year 2 class. I don't have any real guidance, only to build up to using structures from poems as a basis for writing by extending or substituting elements, inventing own lines, verses; to make class collections, illustrate with captions; to write own poems from initial jottings and words. As I don't have a learning objective for each day, I am struggling to know how to put this together. Should I start with doing a day on rhyming couplets? Do a day on alliteration? I would be extremely grateful for any ideas as to how to progress throughout the week as my stress levels are rapidly rising!
    Thanks.

2. Which unit of work? Not sure why you have no guidance? What does your mentor/class teacher say?
    If you don't follow the revised Literacy Strategy try using How to teach poetry writing at Key Stage 1 (Michaela Morgan) - lovely ideas in there.

3. I have a 2 week plan I have taught from 'patterns on the page' which I am happy to send to give you some ideas? If you want to pop your email address down I will send it to you.

4. minnieminx

minnieminx New commenter

posiesparkles, if you could add it to the resource section here, I'd love to have a look as well.

And you'll now get a zillion people asking for it to be emailed and will continue to do so for the next 5 years!

5. That is true! I will modify it so my school is not recognisable and see if I can work out how to upload! [​IMG]

6. inky

inky Lead commenter

Not your fault but this makes me so cross. Rhyming couplets and alliteration are sophisticated concepts and do not need to be taught explicitly at such an early age.
    Alliteration is a bother because phonemic awareness and the more literary study of poetry are being muddled up together. The results are often grotesque.
    Rhyming couplets involve meter as well as rhyme. Try it when they're six years old and you'll get some horrible examples that have nothing to do with poetry.
    Of course, the solution to these problems is to read them lots of poems and sing lots of songs.

7. Msz

Msz Established commenter