1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Poetry tattoos?

Discussion in 'English' started by figgins, Apr 5, 2011.

1. "Maybe you're the same as me
    We see things they'll never see
    You and I are gonna live forever"
    Noel Gallagher

2. I currently have "I have the master of my fate, I am the captain of my soul" on my shoulder blade, from William Henley's 'Invictus'

3. 'Consider Phlebas, who was once handsome and tall as you'

4. What a fabulous idea! As for my tattoo, it is of a penguin, but if I was going to go for a quote (I don't think this is poetry however) I would go for 'as astra per aspera' - to the stars through difficulties - I think that sums up life quite well ... and perhaps teaching at times!

5. <font size="3">I want to cry out but my words are clear;</font><font size="3">Transparent, like my heart.</font>
    Don't know if it counts, but it's from one of my own poems... Still a poem nonetheless :p

6. I love this idea even though I am not a teacher of English. I would have a line from Rabindranath Tagore's poems:
    The butterfly counts not months but moments, and has time enough.

7. "Do not go gentle into that good night' - Dylan Thomas
    I am in my sixties and still have the same passion for teaching and learning.

8. Lay your sleeping head,my love,
    Human on my faithless arm.

or
    Dolce et decorum est...

9. clear_air

clear_air New commenter

If tatoos didn't give me the heebie jeebies (well, the process of getting them, anyway!), I might go for 'Oh my America, my new found land', or the 'before, between, above, behind, below' bit, or 'When I am old, I shall wear purple', or maybe 'Please Mrs Butler, this boy Derek Drew...'
    Or maybe 'Let not the marriage of two minds admit impediment' (I think I got that right...)

10. A prayer for the wild at heart, kept in cages.

11. I love this idea, could I please get your resources when you have completed them as well. The line I'd have would be from the book 'of marriageable age' by sharon maas, and I'm not sure how it goes but it is along the lines of 'a caged bird has nothing but the will to escape...' but I shall post the rest of it once I've found it! :)

12. For we must learn beyond bewildering years
    How little things beloved and held are best

13. Don't know who wrote it...it was a line from an unseen question in an exam many years ago.......
    "If I had seen where I was I would have broken my neck."

or on a bad day
    "There are an awful lot of weirdos in our neighbourhood" Roger McCough

14. regentsreject

regentsreject Occasional commenter

What a brilliant idea to engage kids in poetry! Well done.

I would have:
    We are such stuff as dreams are made on
    And our little life is rounded with a sleep

15. I have
    "An ever-fix&egrave;d mark that looks on tempests and is never shaken"
    on my lower back
    :)

16. This is something I&acute;ve been thinking about for a while now, and because of my love for travelling and teaching I wanted to get &uml;" Life is a journey, destination unknown, so don&acute;t take the path that others have shown..."

The lesson plan sounds great though, I think I&acute;ll try and do something similar with one of my classes!
    Thanks, Jen

17. I have two literary quotes:
    'To thine own self be true' from Hamlet on my left foot
    and
    'A grandeur in the beatings of the heart' from Wordsworth's The Prelude on my ribs
    When I got the Hamlet quote tattooed I was 19 and my mum's reaction was simply 'I like the sentiment but I'm not sure why you had it PERMANENTLY SCARRED on your body'. Until one of her friends saw it and recognised it's origin, at which point my mum decided it was quite nice actually.

18. Hey sounds like a great idea, can i add my email add to the list?

mp2day@yahoo.co.uk

Thanks

19. Hi there,
    Not sure if you are sending out what you've done in the end, as the start of this post was ages ago!
    If you are, could you please consider sending me what you did? Am happy to swap stuff as I'm a bit of a magpie!
    Thanks,
    TC
    newyearsevenemo@hotmail.com

20. I've been, for the past year, dying to get "tread softly, for you tread on my dreams" by WB Yeats but want it on my shoulder and don't think it would go down too well in my school as it's quite a visible place I'd like it :(