1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Poetry tattoos?

Discussion in 'English' started by figgins, Apr 5, 2011.

1. I am kicking off poetry with year nine after Easter by looking at lines of poetry that affect people so much that they have them as tattoos. I have some great pictures and will be getting them to think find lines of poetry that really mean something to them.

So, if you were to have a poetry tattoo, (putting to one side what you think of them) what would it be?

2. sleepyhead

sleepyhead New commenter

strong in will
    To strive, to seek, to find, and not to yield.

3. Spassky

Spassky New commenter

I have The Ancient Mariner but I'm not telling where.

4. This is an interesting idea! I hope I am not being cheeky but would you mind sharing your pictures/resources?
    My email is rwgallagher@hotmail.com

Thank you kindly,
    Ray

5. millicent_bystander

millicent_bystander New commenter

Fantastic idea can I jump on the requesting bandwagon too please?
    princess_cariad@hotmail.co.uk
    I'm now considering what poetry tattoo I'd have - you shouldn't give me ideas, I promised myself I'd stop at two!! [​IMG]

6. "Twas Brillig and the slithy toves, Did gyre and gimble in the wabe.". - I think my choice says a lot about me - I.e. I talk utter nonsense most of the time :p

Dddd

7. I paraphrase, but it goes something like this:

"To live without love is to be barely alive, to be in love is to certainly be killed".

8. A little bit off topic but I have the characters from 'Where The Wild Things Are' tattooed on my arm. Not quite the same thing but still the same sentiment. :) What a good idea for a lesson!

9. I don't have stuff pulled together yet but will email when I do - end of the holidays probably. I know I'll start with pics of David Beckham even though I think he has no poetry and then move on to pics from here: http://www.contrariwise.org/category/poetry/
    I hope to get them to make their own 'tattoo' display (called I write these words on my heart) where they draw out their chosen quote as a tattoo and then explain why they like it as the people on the site mentioned have done. I am seeking a website that allows people to design their own tattoos to help with that, so if anyone knows of one I'd love to know about it!

10. Hi Figgins, brilliant idea! I have 'Reach Out And Touch Faith' on the bottom of my back - not poetry but a song lyric I love. Would something like this font generator help? I used it to find the font I wanted and to try out sizing; you can save and print your design. There are loads of sites like this, just google 'font tattoo generator' (if you haven't already) x
    http://tattoolettering.net/

11. "Think like a wise man but communicate in the language of the people" William Butler Yeats

12. kirstenly

kirstenly New commenter

Love the idea!

Think I'd go for "...best laid plans o' mice and men gang aft agley..."

Or maybe a song lyric from the Smashing Pumpkins! Pretty much any lyric!

13. See the happy ***, he doesn't give a damn
    I wish I were a ***, Oh Lord perhaps I am!

14. W. H. Davies. What is this life if, full of care, We have no time to stand and stare? I like this because it reminds me that we should stop every now and again to breathe.

15. I like the idea. Guess if ever I'll do one I'll write:
    Imagine all the people living in harmony - guess the world will really be a nicer place if it would just happen.

16. "For nothing now can ever come to any good." WH Auden
    Morbid? Perhaps. Beautiful though
    Can I please jump on the bandwagon of resources? Thank you [*]

17. I love the idea!
    Now desperately thinking what I can do with it as a math teacher.

18. I think this is a fantastic idea also, can you add me to your ever growing list of resource wanters? nmrose1979@hotmail.co.uk. I'm going to be spending all evening thinking of that perfect line now. Tattoo artists are going to see their sales soar!

19. "Not waving but drowning" would be my choice.
    Story of my life............. ;-) lol.

20. I think this sounds fab. I wish I could cover it as too am doing poetry after Easter however I am a year 5 teacher...prob not appropriate!![​IMG]