1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Poetry: power of imagery in a week!!!!

Discussion in 'Primary' started by donna1107, Apr 15, 2011.

1. ive got 4 days with yr 5 to cover the power of imagery unit for poetry. Basically its normally a yr5/6 class, but ill b doing it with all the yr5's whilst yr 6's are doing sat's prep.
    Its a lot to cover in less than a week. Ive got a rough overview, was just looking for some advice on how to manage the timing etc.
    Day 1: looking at metaphors. Going to look at empire state of mind by Alecia Keys (concrete jungle!), and the poem city jungle by Pie Corbett. Get them to write their own metaphors, using visual stimuli. Eg give them a golf ball, and ask them to come up with a metaphor, eg the moon is a golf ball
    Day 2: looking at personification.look at the river by valerie bloom and the sea by james reeves. will then give them images of the planets and solar system, show them video clips of the planets moving, and get them to think about describing them as if they were a human
    Day 3:start to plan own poem which will be based on earth and space. will listen to the planets by Holst and get them to imagine what the planets are like, brainstorm similes, metaphors and more personification. Look at poem the moon speaks by james carter and model how to use poetic devices to create more imagery
    Day 4: write own

How does it sound timing wise?

2. I think your timings sound fine, but I'm not sure I would use Empire State of Mind as I think the lyrics are totally unsuitable for a classroom.
    I would probably use something like Big Yellow Taxi by Joni Mitchell (or Counting Crows if you want a more modern version with the same lyrics).

3. captain oats

captain oats New commenter

I always use 'The Magic Box' by Kit Wright when doing imagery as it has loads in just the one poem: alliteration, metaphor, onomatopoeia etc.

Always works really well and is such an easy structure for them to write their own version.