1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Poetry, please help!

Discussion in 'Primary' started by pintsizedblondie, Aug 15, 2012.

1. pintsizedblondie

pintsizedblondie New commenter

I've been asked to look at three different poems as part of a pre-course English portfolio for a Primary PGCE I'm beginning in September. Just wondering if any one could recommend any poems or authors that you look at within your own lessons that you think are particularly good? Thanks in advance!

2. My year 4s loved The Magic Box by Kit Wright. Similarly, the children produced some lovely imaginative work after we looked at If I Had Wings by Pie Corbett.
    We also looked at 10 Things Found in a Wizard's Pocket...I think this is more suitable for younger children but I taught lower ability literacy and it went down really well.
    Best of luck.

3. A poem to be spoken silently by Pie Corbett for Y2/3 upwards
    The Lesson by Roger McGough for Y6
    The Dragon Kite by Brenda Williams for Y3 upwards
    Anything by Spike Milligan!

4. Ooh yes, I'd forgotten about that one!

5. I too love using Kit Wright's The Magic Box.

Also, The Sound Collector by Roger McGough

Gran, Can You Rap? - don't know the poet

I've never used it myself but I know teachers who love Jabberwocky by Lewis Carroll

6. marlin

marlin Star commenter

Why not take one of your poems from a poet of another culture?
    Three that come to mind are Valerie Bloom, Grace Nichols and James Berry. Examples of their poems can be found on this site - the link takes you to an alphabetical list of all poets:
    http://www.poetryarchive.org/childrensarchive/search.do?method=allPoets
    This is a useful reference site for you to know about for poetry for children.
    You could also look at the BBC Learning Zone for examples of poems being read:
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/learningzone/clips/Primary/Literacy/Poetry/page-1.html?pagesize=12&format=list
    You'll find poems by the poets I mentioned, along with most of the poems suggested by other posters.

7. Msz

Msz Established commenter