1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Poetry Performance

Discussion in 'Drama and performing arts' started by JosieWhitehead, Jan 23, 2016.

1. JosieWhitehead

JosieWhitehead Star commenter

I'm both a retired teacher and also a poet who has written, well, a huge amount of poetry for all ages. I specialize in writing poems with good metre and rhyme but also narrative or story poems and this type of poetry makes for wonderful performance poems. My poems go into school classrooms worldwide and in fact wherever English is taught. It is such an important subject but just sitting as a teenager and analysing some dead poet's words is, in my opinion, boring. With these wonderful narrative poems, many with speaking parts, and a world audience out there wishing to improve their spoken English (including many children and teenagers in English speaking countries), would anyone like to work with me to get some good lesson plans done to go with appropriate poems, or get students to make voice recordings to go with the poems, or even a filmed performance - - or any other ideas you can come up with to bring poetry to life once again and to drag it from words to be analysed on a piece of paper, ha ha I do believe that poetry is a performing arts subject that links well to other arts subjects. One of my poems has been animated, one has had music written to it for organ and choir (for Remembrance Day) and another was incorporated into an operatic work staged in Los Angeles last year. Yessss - this is what poetry should be, ha ha Any really good films or voice recordings with lesson plans etc would, of course, sell on here, but if you use my work, only do so with my permission. I'd love you to come up with good ideas. Get in touch. My email's on my Welcome page of my website.