1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Poetry - Listening

Discussion in 'Primary' started by JosieWhitehead, Nov 16, 2015.

1. JosieWhitehead

JosieWhitehead Star commenter

The LISTENING to poetry is so important that I do believe that there should be a box to tick for VOICE RECORDINGS of poems. When I'm invited to schools to see my own poems performed, often, sadly, I meet young people who mumble down into a piece of paper and have not been taught to learn their poems off by heart, to throw their voices across a classroom so that every word is clear to hear, and that there is good expression (and body language) in their presentation. I do believe that children need to hear poetry well before they read it and, with poetry performance being an integral part of every key stage of learning, there should be a special box to show that the poem is a "voice recording".

2. marlin

marlin Star commenter

Sorry Josie - where should there be a box to tick? Just asking as your message isn't very clear. Do you mean in the TES resources section?

Is this a message to the people at TES? Tagging @TES_Community may get a response or a direction to the appropriate person if it is.

3. TES_Community

TES_Community Administrator

@JosieWhitehead

Please can you provide more information with regards to the first sentence in your post? It's not really clear what you are referring to. If we have more information that we might be able to help with your query.

Thank you.

4. RedQuilt

RedQuilt Star commenter

@TES_Rosaline The OP has replied twice on a thread entitled How Are You Teaching Poetry on the Primary forum so it seems likely that this post was intended for there.

5. TES_Rosaline

TES_Rosaline Administrator Staff Member

Thank you for your help @RedQuilt. Hopefully, the OP will see her thread in this forum.

RedQuilt likes this.
  6. JosieWhitehead

Yes, You can say if your resource is a video (I think it is video) - but not if it is a voice recording. It is so important that children hear the author of a poem reading their poem, that this is an important resource for children and their teachers.

7. JosieWhitehead

Yes, there was a list of "what your resource is" at the side to tick, and I think "video" was one of the items, but "voice recordings" or "sound recordings" would be good to tick because it could be, as with mine, voice recordings of my poems, or it could be a play for them to hear or music (provided that there is no copyright on it of course). My own recordings are of my own work and quite OK. Hope this helps. You have almost thought of everything at TES. You're very good! ha ha