1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Poetry ideas or lesson plan for year 4 observed Big Writing lesson

Discussion in 'New teachers' started by cheapcarrots, Sep 20, 2008.

1. Please help - I want to enjoy the sunshine and have a life as I seem to be chained to my computer all weekend every weekend. I'm being observed on Tuesday for a poetry big writing lesson. Any ideas (or even lesson plans!) would be greatfully appreciated. Last week we were looking at poems containg similes, powerful verbs and onomatopoeia.

Thanks so much and if I can return the favour to anybody re ideas/plans etc I certainly will

xx

2. Please help - I want to enjoy the sunshine and have a life as I seem to be chained to my computer all weekend every weekend. I'm being observed on Tuesday for a poetry big writing lesson. Any ideas (or even lesson plans!) would be greatfully appreciated. Last week we were looking at poems containg similes, powerful verbs and onomatopoeia.

Thanks so much and if I can return the favour to anybody re ideas/plans etc I certainly will

xx

3. gill42

gill42 New commenter

Never done Big Writing so not even sure if what I am about to suggest is relevant lol

There is a poem called the Sound Collector (it may even be on here in the resources section), not sure

http://hometutors.org.uk/resource/res_502.doc

another good poem for similes is again by Roger McGeogh (sp) and is called The Writer of This Poem - cant find a copy of this on the net although it may be in the resources section - I have used this when on teaching practice in year 4 but all my plans are in the loft so I can't help anymore.

Could have one written about you though to display and then brainstorm the children's qualities so give them some ideas?

Only a thought and if it's not relevant (it is sunday morning after all) just ignore it.

4. Thank you gill42. You just saved a massive panic, planning for Big Writing! What a lovely poem, I think it will work really well.