1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Poetry help needed please

Discussion in 'Primary' started by Danielle1988, Aug 27, 2011.

1. Hi, I am a year 5/6 teacher and need to plan a classic poetry medium term plan.
    I have some ideas but I really dont know where to start. I have about three and a half weeks to complete my Poetry section.

Anyone use any Poetry websites or know where I could find any plans for ideas.
    Any help would be greatly appreciated :)

2. marlin

marlin Star commenter Forum guide

3. marlin

marlin Star commenter Forum guide

4. minnieminx

minnieminx New commenter

Any of the above sites...

But just thought I'd let you know that my year 5 boys loved 'The Charge Of The Light Brigade' year before last and the whole class loved (and could remember by heart 18 months later!) 'The Owl and The ***** Cat'.

5. Thanks for that. I have looked at doing possible animal Classical Poetry.
    I have quite a few poetry ideas... it's just knowing good activities and starting points which I am struggling with. I am a new teacher you see

6. minnieminx

minnieminx New commenter

Starting point...tell them the poem. (Try to tell rather than read.)

Then retell with them joining in.

Do lots of drama and history around the poems. Also anything else that links.

And you'll know the literacy stuff.

Oh and definitely try and find a class/year group/KS to perform to. My class loved performing to upper KS2 and the others enjoyed watching.

7. Thanks very much for your help