1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Poetry for Year 7

Discussion in 'English' started by SarahReed, Jun 5, 2012.

1. SarahReed

SarahReed New commenter

Hi,
    I was wondering if anyone can give me any advice. I have an interview next week at an all boys' school in Manchester. I have been asked to teach a half hour lesson on analysing a poem. I know what I want to do but I'm struggling to come up with a well-known poem that the class will know and does not require a lot of teaching. Does anyone have any suggestions? The only thing I can think of is the Pied Piper! I've be happy to share my resources and SOW on spoken language and any other resources people might want
    Thanks,

Sarah

2. SarahReed

SarahReed New commenter

Hi,
    I was wondering if anyone can give me any advice. I have an interview next week at an all boys' school in Manchester. I have been asked to teach a half hour lesson on analysing a poem. I know what I want to do but I'm struggling to come up with a well-known poem that the class will know and does not require a lot of teaching. Does anyone have any suggestions? The only thing I can think of is the Pied Piper! I've be happy to share my resources and SOW on spoken language and any other resources people might want
    Thanks,

Sarah

3. dozymare1957

dozymare1957 Occasional commenter

Something by A A Milne maybe? "Sneezles" or "What is the matter with Mary Jane?" for example.
    "The Pied Piper" is very long

4. How about WH Auden The Night Train - very rhythmic so gives a clear focus on effect and technique. Or the Highwayman? Full of imagery - focus on one or two stanzas and the imagery hterein

5. Underachiever

Underachiever New commenter

Jabberwocky? Focus on how we make meaning from nonsense words?

6. SarahReed

SarahReed New commenter

Thank you for all your ideas! I was planning on splitting the class up to focus on structure, imagery and poetic techniques but I think this might be a bit too much for only 30 min!

Sarah