1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

poetry - exploring form

Discussion in 'Primary' started by Leasa, Feb 20, 2010.

1. Leasa

Leasa New commenter

Hi,
    Was just wondering if anyone could help me out with planning for the year 4 poetry unit - exploring form as i'm a little confused.
    From what I can tell the ch'n are to to look at several forms of poetry and then the main focus seems to be around using ICT to present a poem. I want the ch'n to write their own poems but can't see where this fits in. Any ideas?
    Also when writing the poems do I get them to look at just one poetry type and model it as a class arond a topic or should the form be upto them?
    Thanks

2. Sillow

Sillow Senior commenter

I've just finished this unit. We looked at Michael Rosen poems - there are videos on his website www.michaelrosen.co.uk of him actually performing his poems, which is just brilliant. The kids idenitified different features of his poems, what they liked, the kind of vocab used, were any rhymes used? If so, are they rhyming couplets or alternate line rhymes? Does it have a verse/chorus structure?
    Then they wrote their own Chinese New Year poems. We explored different rhymes for things that were to do with the festival and then I let them go and write their own.
    The next week we explored a different poem type a day. We did haiku, cinquain, shape poems (and riddles). The kids then wrote their own and we had time in the ICT suite for them to type some of them up. The haiku worked really well, as we're doing Chembakolli and they wrote a haiku based on a photograph from Chembakolli (taken from their website, chembakolli.com) and then typed up their haiku so the writing showed over the top of the photograph about which they had written.
    All these poems look absolutely fab on display!

3. Leasa

Leasa New commenter

Thanks, that website is really helpful. I pretty much did last year what you did by getting them to write poems using the different poetry forms and it as pretty successful.
    However, with OFSTED due in any week now, I figured I should be following the suggested teaching approach a little more. This is mainly ICT based about producing a poetry presentation although it doesn't match up with the unit overview.
    Therefore i'm thinking of allowing the ch'n a couple of days to look at different forms of poetry and have a go at performing one of the poems before we write our own Haiku Poems and present them using ICT as the main teaching approach suggests.
    Does this sound ok? I'm trying to merge the two but am very confused and any help would be appreciated.

4. Sillow

Sillow Senior commenter

It's a silly unit, on the strategies site, I think! It keeps talking about laptops and the children using software to create their own poetry presentation - as if there's time in the ICT suite for them to do that!
    I think presenting a haiku would be fine. They could practise performing it, record their voices and then select images from a suitable selection that you've created, putting it together with Windows Movie Maker or PowerPoint. They could storyboard it beforehand and then have self- and peer-evaluation afterwards.
    We're expecting O any day, too. Just about to start the persuasive writing unit. Good luck!

5. inky

inky Lead commenter

The point of writing to a form [eg haiku] is surely to demonstrate and practise the discipline involved in writing poetry. In the sixteenth century and beyond, there must have been countless terrible sonnets written that obeyed all the rules whilst offending against the very idea of poetry.
    I think primary school children should hear far more poetry than most are probably hearing. Singing songs gives a sense of meter.

Oh hell, I think I'm going to explode with loathing of what constitutes 'learning' nowadays.

6. Leasa

Leasa New commenter

Thanks sillow, thats exactly what I was thinking of doin but just feel that they really should be writing more about the different forms of poetry. Maybe i'll slip an eaxtra lesson in where the ch'n could write a rhyming couplet poem too before they use the ICT.
    I agree with you about it being a silly unit. I don't think the primary framework people even know what the outcome should be. Mine due I think the persuassive one is just as silly, why do they need to be able to produce a film trailer?
    Good luck!

7. Zoot

Zoot New commenter

Normal

false
    false
    false

MicrosoftInternetExplorer4

/* Style Definitions */
    table.MsoNormalTable
    {mso-style-name:"Table Normal";
    mso-tstyle-rowband-size:0;
    mso-tstyle-colband-size:0;
    mso-style-noshow:yes;
    mso-style-parent:"";
    mso-padding-alt:0cm 5.4pt 0cm 5.4pt;
    mso-para-margin:0cm;
    mso-para-margin-bottom:.0001pt;
    mso-pagination:widow-orphan;
    font-size:10.0pt;
    font-family:"Times New Roman";
    mso-ansi-language:#0400;
    mso-fareast-language:#0400;
    mso-bidi-language:#0400;}

<ul style="margin-top:0cm;"><li class="MsoNormal">Develop and refine ideas in writing
    using planning and problem-solving strategies[/LIST]

<ul style="margin-top:0cm;"><li class="MsoNormal">Choose and combine words, images and
    other features for particular effects[/LIST]These are the writing objectives from strands 9 and 10 that you need to teach before the ICT tasks. If you are unsure, the following website is a really useful summary of what you need to cover in each phase of each unit. Click on single age medium term plans. Hope this helps:
    http://www.dcseducation.org/v.asp?level2id=391&level3=920&rootid=17&level2=391&depth=3&folderid=920

8. Zoot

Zoot New commenter

I have absolutely no idea why the first part of my previous post is there or what is is for so just ignore :)

9. HI, Please note the web address for Michael Rosen's poems is www.michaelrosen.co.uk rather than .com as mentioned above.