1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Poetry differentiation

Discussion in 'Primary' started by mrthreadgold, Jun 20, 2012.

1. Hi everybody,

I'm a PGCE trainee approaching the end of final placement and am really struggling to think of how to differentiate a set of 4 poetry lessons.

I have a yr 2/3 class with 4 levels of differentiation and am focusing on unit 3 (language play) I plan to focus on 'at the end of school assembly' by Simon Pitt and 'ten tired teachers' by Brian Moses.

Can anybody help with the differentiation please?

Regards, a fed up and exhausted student... :(

2. I remember very well how annoying it is when you're desperate for someone to give you a hand and you get this answer but it really does depends on the learners. If they're differentiated 4 ways, that must be based on their APP levels. Find out what levels the 4 groups are working at and get the APP grids (just google, for example, 'English APP Level 2' and it'll be right there). Then you can see where they are now and what they need to do next. I thought APP was just pointless forms when I was a student until my very last mentor made me use it and I realised how helpful it is and wondered how I'd got through differentiating on previous placements without it. It does provide a useful trajectory for the children's progress. Good luck x