1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Poetry - creating images

Discussion in 'Primary' started by captain oats, Oct 25, 2007.

1. captain oats

captain oats New commenter

I am currently planning this Year 4 poetry unit to do after half term, but am struggling to think of ideas.

By the end of the two weeks I want the children to have written their own poem about Fireworks.

I want to link in senses as well, and get them to write about how they feel on bonfire night, e.g. what they can hear, smell, touch, see, taste etc.

They need to be able to create images in these poems, so has anyone got any tips or good ways of teaching,
    similes, alliteration, powerful verbs etc?

2. captain oats

I am currently planning this Year 4 poetry unit to do after half term, but am struggling to think of ideas.

By the end of the two weeks I want the children to have written their own poem about Fireworks.

I want to link in senses as well, and get them to write about how they feel on bonfire night, e.g. what they can hear, smell, touch, see, taste etc.

They need to be able to create images in these poems, so has anyone got any tips or good ways of teaching,
    similes, alliteration, powerful verbs etc?

3. I found it really hard to find good poems with similes for this topic but the kids enjoyed The Day's Eye by Pie Corbett and Willow and Gingko by Eve Merriam (both of which I found on Google) We used both poems as a model for writing and performing group and indepent poems.

4. captain oats

Thanks, will check those out now :)

5. Somewhere I have read a poem that goes:
    The writer of this poem is as _____ as a ____
    Can't remember who it's by but could the children do something along those lines for fireworks
    e.g

the colours in this rocket are as _______as a
    the sounds of this rocket are as ________as a etc.etc.

6. captain oats

That's a good idea for a starting point to get them thinking about their own similes, thanks for your help :)

7. jog_on

jog_on New commenter

Hi Captain Oats,

Just wondering how this unit went and what you decided upon in the end. I'm trying to plan this at the moment and would love some ideas and feedback about what worked well etc.

:)

8. captain oats

Hey, if you leave your email I can send you some planning.

I really liked this unit and the children wrote some brilliant poems about Fireworks which we put on display.

9. jog_on

jog_on New commenter

Thank you - would be fab of you!

jog_on_tes @ yahoo.co.uk

10. captain oats

You have mail

11. Hi i just saw your poetry ideas on fireworks night. I know the thread was a while ago. but do you still have the plans? i would love to do this with my children

12. Do you still have a copy of these plans? I'd love to have a look at them. Could you email them over? amymeganbrown @ googlemail . com

13. The Magic Box is always a good poem to get the children thinking about the weird and the wonderful

14. ecawemma

ecawemma New commenter

There is a Y3 unit on www.emmarogers.org.uk on Shape poems which uses the poems in Stars, cars and electric guitars. It would be easy to amend the ideas for fireworks and adapt for Y4. The shape poems in that book are the best i've come across.