1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Poetry APP grid? Help please!

Discussion in 'English' started by lighthouse_keeper, Nov 1, 2011.

1. lighthouse_keeper

lighthouse_keeper New commenter

Hi,
    I am trying to put together a peer-assessment sheet for students to assess a classmate's poetry. Does anyone know if there's an APP grid specifically for writing poetry ? If there isn't an official one, has anyone adapted one for poetry that I could use please?
    Many thanks in advance,
    Lighthouse Keeper

2. lighthouse_keeper

Or is it a bad idea to get pupils to assess one another in poetry? Has anyone tried it? What worked / didn't?
    I'd be grateful for any ideas! Thanks!

3. GloriaSunshine

GloriaSunshine New commenter

Is this for primary? I wouldn't do it in Secondary. We don't often do poetry writing but when we do, it's never assessed. You could just use the appropriate criteria from an APP grid but it seems to go against the grain to peer assess something that has ben written to generate an emotional response. I suppose you could say that about any creative writing but poetry is such so subjective.

4. lighthouse_keeper

It is for secondary, for Year 9. I have similar feelings about assessing poetry! But I guess the same argument could be used for Art, and that does get assessed even though so subjective....it's difficult isn't it! My SOW says to assess it, so I thought that some marking criteria would be useful but perhaps it might be better to mark it in tick boxes of "uses language devices" and other things I want them to include, and just give it an effort grade?

5. inky

inky Lead commenter

This is one of my bugbears. You can only really assess 'poetry' in any fair way by ticking off a checklist that involves attention to technical points. Beyond that, you are dipping into the dangerous waters of, well, what poetry really is.

6. inky

inky Lead commenter

Effort is measurable. I don't like the idea of creativity being assessed.

7. GloriaSunshine

GloriaSunshine New commenter

Perhaps they could write a commentary on their poetry, or on another pupil's, and that could be assessed against reading criteria?

8. inky

inky Lead commenter

Why? Just how roundabout do you have to be?