1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Poetry advice please...

Discussion in 'Primary' started by TEACHER16, Sep 9, 2012.

1. TEACHER16

TEACHER16 New commenter

I am about to teach poetry for the first time in Literacy. I was wondering how many types of poetry I should be looking at in a 6 week blook. Is three types enough? Many thanks in advance :)

2. TEACHER16

TEACHER16 New commenter

I am about to teach poetry for the first time in Literacy. I was wondering how many types of poetry I should be looking at in a 6 week blook. Is three types enough? Many thanks in advance :)

3. marlin

marlin Star commenter

If you are new to teaching poetry then you might find this NLS Support for Writing document useful to read:
    http://www.lancsngfl.ac.uk/nationalstrategy/literacy/download/file/SfW%20Text%20Types1.pdf
    From page 31 of the pdf it outlines all the poetry types, language features and knowledge for the writer.
    It all depends on your year group and the type of poetry you are doing. For instance, you may spend more time teaching Narrative Poetry than Shape Poetry.
    What types were you thinking of doing?

4. TEACHER16

TEACHER16 New commenter

Hi there I was thinking of doing Keaning poems, alliteration and acrostic poems. I will read that document now thanks.