1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Poems / literary texts at KS3 German

Discussion in 'Modern foreign languages' started by davidgclare, Jul 27, 2015.

1. davidgclare

davidgclare New commenter

Has anyone come across any German poems, songs or other literary texts which are suitable for and popular with Year 7 and 8 pupils? I am writing SOWs for September and would like to include a few! Thanks.

2. -myrtille-

-myrtille- Occasional commenter

I don't think this is exactly what you're after, but I have done a simple poem in French and Spanish with my Y7s which is really useful for teaching dictionary skills, gender of nouns, word order and adjective agreements.

Each verse goes

"If I was a colour, I would be [blue],

[Blue] like the [shimmering sea]"

So pupils have a clear structure to follow and have to find new nouns and adjectives to create their own similes.

I originally adapted the poem from a French primary school's website (written by pupils).

I know it doesn't tick the "authentic texts" box, but it's a nice little project for pupils to be creative with whilst practising key grammar points and I'm sure it would work translated into German. I use it around the end of the first half-term of Y7.

www.tes.co.uk/.../les-couleurs--3-lessons-6363542

Hope this helps. :)

3. davidgclare

davidgclare New commenter

What great ideas here, thank you so much, I will certainly do something similar in German. Will add to my SOW now! Thanks again,

4. JackFrober

JackFrober New commenter

A kind of nonsense poem that many people in Germany know (well, at least the first few lines) is the following one:

http://www.mumag.de/gedichte/anonym08.html

Many teachers use songs from Herbert Grönemeyer, Wise Guys (English name but it's a German band with German lyrics), Die Toten Hosen and Die Ärzte

What some of my 14-year-olds have told me about, but I haven't read it yet, which seems to be really popular is the satirical novel "Er ist wieder da!"

I know you weren't asking about films, but (one of) the most popular German film(s) in recent years has been "Fack ju Göhte". A German comedy, I know, hard to believe something like that exists ;)

Hope that helps!

5. funambule

funambule New commenter