1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Poems by heart

Discussion in 'English' started by foroff2233, Sep 6, 2020.

1. foroff2233

foroff2233 Occasional commenter

Hello English colleagues
    I'm currently learning poetry by heart as I have found it enjoyable. Have a few under my belt now and am seeking recommendations for (not overly long) for my next ones. I thought I'd ask the experts, so if you have time, recommend a couple I could practise and declaim on my daily walks.
    Thanks

2. rachelsays

rachelsays New commenter

I memorised The Lady of Shalott when I was at school and it's still my party piece to recite it now. It is very long, but you can learn it in manageable chunks, and it really is just the most beautiful language that rolls off the tongue. Give it a go!

I also love anything and everything by Robert Frost. If you want poems to do with nature to recite while you're out and about on your walks, his poetry is an absolute treasure trove. My favourite poem in the whole world is his 'Stopping by Woods on a Snowy Evening.' And it's very short!

Enjoy!

jarndyce and Lidnod like this.
  3. roamingteacher

roamingteacher Established commenter Forum guide

I've never had students memorise poems but I have them do so with short speeches. I think there is value in having some secure and model-worthy lines that you can draw on as a writer and speaker, especially for ELLs. I don't think I've ever memorised myself except for a speaking competition once but often lines will pop into my head in particular situations.

Lidnod likes this.
  4. armandine2

armandine2 Established commenter

recently - some of the lyrics (in most of the rhythm) to "I'm going back to 505" have come to my mind, when out walking.

5. Lidnod

Lidnod Star commenter

A beloved relative died last year in his late nineties and spoke often of the joy he had from reciting poetry learned as a child. He could still recite many poems from memory. Sometimes we teachers don’t realise the impact that poetry can make. I remember a consultation evening when a parent told me that her fourteen year old son was going round the house declaiming The Lady of Shalott which he had memorised after we studied the poem in class. I had no idea!

The Highwayman by Alfred Noyes is a good performance poem. Poems by John Betjeman might suit. Try The Raven by Poe. I memorised chunks of that quite by accident from a poster on the wall which I would glance at every time I left the room.

Last edited: Sep 10, 2020
  6. foroff2233

foroff2233 Occasional commenter

Thanx for all suggestions- will follow them up.

7. CaptGrimesRetd

CaptGrimesRetd Occasional commenter

For reasons I do not understand, Milne's "James James Morrison Morrison" has been a huge help when recited silently during dental surgery or endoscopies.

tb9605 likes this.
  8. ACOYEAR8

ACOYEAR8 Star commenter

[​IMG][​IMG]

Lidnod likes this.
  9. johnmorganhere

johnmorganhere New commenter

Hello English colleagues! I am new here. Thanks for your suggestions.

10. Kateray1

Kateray1 Occasional commenter

‘What’s that tickling my back’? said the wall
    ‘It’s me’, said a caterpillar,
    ‘I’m learning to crawl’!

Pam Ayres

11. amarantha_valentine

amarantha_valentine New commenter

When I was at school (year 7 or 8) we had to memorise Jabberwocky. I can still recite the beginning bit easily now and could probably do the whole thing with prompting.