1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Poem suggestions

Discussion in 'English' started by tamwinsle, Jan 31, 2011.

1. I've been looking at the topic of family history with a small Yr8 group. And they deviated into the realm of family secrets and skeletons in the cupboard and now want to write a short story on the subject! I would very much like to introduce them to a poem on this topic by way of inspiration.
    Apart from Ted Hughes' 'My Sister Jane' I am stumped.
    Any ideas anyone please?

2. I've been looking at the topic of family history with a small Yr8 group. And they deviated into the realm of family secrets and skeletons in the cupboard and now want to write a short story on the subject! I would very much like to introduce them to a poem on this topic by way of inspiration.
    Apart from Ted Hughes' 'My Sister Jane' I am stumped.
    Any ideas anyone please?

3. marlin

marlin Star commenter Forum guide

<font face="Calibri">Little and big secrets</font><font face="Calibri">silence, unsharing</font><font face="Calibri">from shame, for protection</font><font face="Calibri">blank spots</font><font face="Calibri">in the telling</font><font face="Calibri">of our story</font> <font size="3">Carved off areas</font><font face="Calibri">sometimes casually shared</font><font face="Calibri">As if we knew, forgetting the secret</font><font face="Calibri">the missing words</font><font face="Calibri">names crossed from address books</font><font face="Calibri">pain pushed down</font> <font size="3">Missing memories</font><font face="Calibri">scraps of childhood</font>

4. marlin

Sorry - formatting went wrong. I'll try again. Fingers crossed.

<font face="Calibri">undiscussed.</font>

5. marlin

6. Thank you for the poem, marlin.
    I have looked through all those poems on the Archive and none are suitable unfortunately.

7. CaptGrimesRetd

CaptGrimesRetd New commenter

Possibly Liz Lochhead's "Poem for my sister"?

8. Depending on how mature they are, I'd use "We Remember Your Childhood Well" by Carol Ann Duffy.

9. Thanks for suggestions guys.
    Does anyone have any, more up-beat suggestions?
    If not, I think I'll have to go down the dark route!